Saturday, December 24, 2016

1001 Pots

Prior to moving here, a friend told me that I should add 1001 Pots to my list. Two summers ago (between my first and second year here), when I had a friend come visit, I took advantage of the fact that she had a vehicle (and was interested in ceramics) and we drove out to the village of Val-David.
The drive was lovely. It was a bright sunny day, and driving through the Laurentians was a first for me. Being without a vehicle, I spent all of my first year here on the island. And discovering the city by foot, bus, and metro. Any time that I ventured to other cities nearby, they were direct trips with no wandering and relaxation...and we never seemed to take scenic routes to get to wherever we were going. But going to Val-David took us through lovely landscape and I had my first moment of marveling in the landscape of this province.
Once we arrived to Val-David,we wondered it the exhibition would be difficult to find, but ummm, well there was basically one (small) street to Val-David, and that was it. So, we made out way to the exhibition unsure of what to expect, and basically, in what seemed like a large backyard (attached to a little forested area) were ceramics upon ceramics. It was neat to see the variety of pieces, the different colours, designs, aesthetics. I didn't leave with anything, but getting a better sense of what I like (I still working my way towards getting a piece of original artwork for my place). I did make some mental notes of ceramicists that I liked and noticed that a lot of them show at other markets/shops in Montreal so I didn't feel a need to rush into purchasing anything.
Anyway, I would recommend going up to Val-David and 1001 Pots if you have a chance. It might not completely blow you away, but it's still a nice little day trip.


No comments: