EX LIBRIS – The New York Public Library is the latest film by legendary documentarian Frederic Wiseman. It is 197 minutes in length. And worth the watch.
When I told people that I was going to the screening, people laughed. Why would I want to watch a film that was that long? Well, I wasn't the only one. The screening was sold out (the rush line was so long that I doubt everyone in the line got in). And it's been showing at basically every film festival (e.g., Venice, TIFF, Zurich, Hamburg, Rio, Busan, Vienna...).
With a film this long, I wonder what could be cut. I wonder why the filmmaker decided not to cut more (because, obviously, there were more than 197 minutes of footage shot). I mean, 197 is a long time to be watching a film. But it's not the longest film that I've seen. At TIFF 2013, I watched At Berkeley (also by Wiseman) which was a whopping 244 minutes. I thought it was mediocre. I wanted more about academic life...less about their activism history. I also took a nap during the screening.
Full disclosure, I also took a wee nap during the current film, but I don't think it was out of boredom. It was a Sunday afternoon, it was a dark room and I was sitting in a comfy chair. The sound of the film was relaxing. On my way out of the theatre, I hear another person say that they closed their eyes at a couple points as well. So that made me feel better. I don't know how long I was actually out for, but I don't think I missed anything important. I guess that's the bonus of such a long film.
As I reflect on this film, I feel like I watched someone's PhD dissertation (which, coincidentally, can also be a product that the creator finds difficult to cut). I felt like, it was a product of a lot of research and exploration and synthesized into a nice package that gave me all the best bits and I have a well-rounded sense of the topic.
Simply put, the film lets the viewer in to the world of the New York Public Library and shares the wide variety of efforts, initiatives, events, programs that it has to offer. I think it might be a little strong to say it this way, but in some way, it does feel like a love letter to the NYPL. The film was caring, kind, warm...I felt good. There were many moments where I was smiling. That led to laughter. Filmed in 2015, we learned of book clubs, afterschool tutoring programs, afterschool robotics programs, carer and tot programs, active-for-life programs, speaker series (including conversations with Elvis Costello and Ta-Nehisi Coates), technology classes, job fairs, galas, meet the author events, art exhibitions, lecture series, internet access initiatives, musical concerts, and guided tours. We learned of specialist branches (e.g., Schomburg Centre for Research in Black Culture, Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library). Not only was the film about the NYPL, but it too let us explore New York. The diversity that exists, the different neighbourhoods. To see Harlem, Chinatown, and Midtown. We could compare and contrast the splendour of the 5th avenue location
to the warm and cozy, small neighbourhood location. We were invited to think about the different patrons, including (but not limited to): readers, tourists, students, learners, the homeless, parents, new immigrants. We not only saw what the public sees, but went behind the scenes too. From books being sorted for delivery to different branches, to Board of Trustee meetings and other admin and staff meetings to discuss the vision and direction of the NYPL. It was clear that the NYPL works closely with many organizations to provide what they believe will be the best possible product to patrons.
I was very impressed with everything that the NYPL has to offer. The efforts that it takes to be for the people. It makes me curious about what my local library system has to offer and why I am not taking advantage of their programs.
I thought it was a great film.
Picture courtesy of: www.ridm.ca

No comments:
Post a Comment