A Modern Man (official website here) is a documentary about Charlie Siem. I wasn't aware of him prior to the watching the film, but the topic seemed compelling and had just enough hint of "hits close to home" for me to be intrigued.
Some keywords that come to mind: drive, ego, emotions, giftedness, happiness, identity, independence,
loneliness, perfectionism, pressure, recognition, relationships, reputation,
selfishness, solitude, and success.
This film was in the documentary style of "getting to know a character" by following his life for a period of time but also with direct interactions through interviews. This is, in contrast to other documentaries (like, DPJ) where we're just privvy to the context/topic, but are silent/invisible spectators.
The Q&A with director Eva Mulvad, was great. A little bit too much of audience members giving commentary rather than asking questions (there was one gentleman who went on for awhile leading so audience members getting a little restless), but Ms. Mulvad did a great job of responding to each, describing what she found interesting in her protagonist and giving more insight into his world and character.
Although much of the Q&A centered around the issues of focus in the film, Ms. Mulvad implicitly spoke of her film making process and artistic choices that she made. While, for the most part, I'm more interested in getting more in depth into the topics of the films, I find it interesting when filmmakers talk about their craft. Typically, it's enlightening and I'm reminded of my naivety in that, of course, every choice the filmmaker makes is intentional and with purpose. Perhaps in reference or inspired by another film (e.g., Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation), to affecting the emotion of the audience in relation to the content being explored (e.g., starting with cold and seemingly frivolous opulence at the beginning of the film to closer, more intimate shots alongside violinist onstage during performances).
This film ended quite suddenly as well. It is a trend? Ms. Mulvad indicated that she had struggled with how to end the film. Ultimately, I think about some of the films that I've been watching and really there is no "better way" to end the film. Lives continue. There is no end point. There is no resolution. If the topic of the film doesn't naturally build to a specific event, moment, time...if the film is just a moment in time of something bigger...then, how else could you end the film?
Anyway, I enjoyed this film. Hard to say if the film was really that good, or that I just connected with the topic. Maybe a little of both. Ms. Mulvad expressed how she hoped that the audience would watch the film not as a spectator of someone else's life, but to be introspective and reflect on the relevance of these issues in our current society. Based on the level of engagement of the audience during the Q&A, I think the film had an impact. Bonus - there's some great music in the film too. I'd definitely recommend the film to others.
Picture courtesy of: www://danishdocumentary.com/

No comments:
Post a Comment