Friday, April 02, 2021

Lays Chips Iced Coffee Oolong Milk Tea Flavour


I like exploring. I was exploring cheese for awhile (I'd still like to keep exploring cheeses), but the fact that I can explore chip flavours such as this kind of shows the difference in what's accessible and available to me now. I mean, I definitely didn't explore as much as I could have for the past 6 years, but I did explore in some ways but I'm skeptical that even if I'd put forth more effort, I would have come across these chips.

Anyway, the English label (I'm illiterate in Chinese) that was added on the chip bag indicates that these are Iced Coffee Oolong Milk Tea Flavour. Before I saw the label, I wondered if it was grass jelly (because of the jelly cubes in the bowl), but I guess not. Do people put coffee and tea together? Is that a thing?

I don't know if I've had coffee flavoured, or tea flavoured chips before. I'm assuming that they will be sort of sweet? I don't know if I've had sweet chips before.

Ok. Well, that was weird. I just opened the bag, and was immediately hit with a coffee smell...maybe with a dash of tea (?!?), but definitely coffee. The chips...they taste like nothing I've ever had before. They don't taste like coffee. They don't taste like tea. They don't taste like the smell that I got when I opened the bag (in fact, when I shove my nose back into the bag that initial coffee smell is gone). They have a sweet taste. Kind of caramel-ish? They are pretty crunchy. Like, maybe more crunchy that regular chips? It's almost like they feel thicker? Maybe I'm just making that up.

So the bag's been sitting here for awhile (I was just facetiming with a friend for the past hour). And I haven't been tempted to continue eating them (which is a big deal, because usually when I open a bag of chips, I eat the whole bag in one sitting). The smell had kind of settled to a Coffee Crisp-type of scent (which I guess sort of fits). I just ate another chip. And it's still a weird taste that doesn't match the smell. There's definitely an aftertaste in my mouth, which could be tea-ish. I mean, it's sort of earthy?

Needless to say, I'm not terribly impressed with these chips. I definitely wouldn't get them again. They are...curious.

No comments: