Monday, April 05, 2021

Lays Chips Roasted Bree Milk Tea Flavour

Here's another one for you. The English label on the bag says "Roasted Bree Milk Tea Flavour", but the picture and a little bit of googling makes me think that it's crème brûlée. I like crème brûlée. I actually like it a lot. Crème brûlée and milk tea...I'm not so sure about. Also, given the outcome of the other chips that I recently tried, I'm a little worried. But I feel like snacking so here goes.

Shoving my nose into the bag, it smells sweet. Caramel-ish? It doesn't smell bad. I would eat a dessert that smelled like that. But this is a chip. Maybe I'm thrown off because I've been conditioned to think that chips are salty. And then I have to contend with these two bags.

The flavour...what the heck is this? It's not offensive, so that's good. Similar to the other bag, it doesn't taste how it smells. This one has a very mild taste, but yet again, I can't place it. There's a strange mouth feel - bitter (maybe the tea)? No, that's not it. Metallic? Chemically? Something that's coating the tongue? It's very bizarre.

They're not horrendous though, am I'm still eating them. I don't think they're as good as the classic North American flavours (actually, and the British flavours that I sampled), but it's hard to say if that's a sweet versus salty influence. Are there potato items that are sweet? Maybe I'm just not used to the sweet and potato combination.

I'll finish this bag. It's sort of hitting the spot. I don't think it tastes like crème brûlée and/or milk tea in particular, but how many chip flavours actually taste like what they're supposed to be if you think about it. Or, I could just have a weak palate. I think these are kind of salty, actually. And there definitely is a flavour to them. I think I'm getting that earthy 'tea' flavour as an aftertaste. I suppose the sweet-ish flavour I'm initially getting is the "bree" or crème brûlée? It's just not totally coming through.

I'd say, try this one. And see if you can figure out the flavour. I mean, I'd say try the other one too, because I think it's worth trying everything, but this one, at least I can enjoy.

No comments: