After hearing way too many rave reviews about this book, I decided that this might be a good book to start my venture into the "literary world".
This by no means will be an extensive book review, nor will it be a spoiler for those who haven't read the book, it's just a forum for me to rant a bit, and hopefully encourage me to continue to read.
The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown
It was OK. I admit that I had a difficult time putting it down. I liking the fact that the chapters were so short, because in my short reading blocks on the bus, I felt like I was accomplishing something by finishing one or two chapters in such a short amount of time. I did have to flip back every so often to remind myself what had happened in the previous few pages. It started off pretty good. I wasn't into the whole plot of it. I wanted to know what was going to happen. The middle-->end though started to get a little boring for me. It was all the religious talk I think. I just didn't find it really interesting. It seemed more like a history lesson, and I wasn't a fan. I did flip forward a couple pages every so often, because it was just too boring, and I wanted to get into the plot part of the story. I was hoping the fact that it was set in Paris (and surrounding area), it'd be more interesting, because I'd know of some of the places that are mentioned in the book, and it's true, that did help a bit (I was imagining the characters going from place to place - well actually Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou going from place to place - can someone outside of the Neuch bubble confirm that this is true?), and maybe next time I'm in Paris, I'll look more carefully for some of the places mentioned. The "codes" were pretty cool I guess. I was hoping that there would be more of them.
In the end, I gotta say that this book started off strong, but towards the end, I just got bored of it. Even though I couldn't put it down, as I was reading, I was hoping that something great/exciting would happen, but it never did.
No comments:
Post a Comment