Written: Sunday, June 05, 2005 @ 8:18pm
I was having some friends over for dinner, and decided that dessert would be an ice cream sundae extravaganza. Being in the land of all things chocolate, I opened up my cupboard and saw some uneaten chocolate bars and thought that I might be able to turn them into some gourmet chocolate sauce.
Breaking up the bars of chocolate and putting them into a microwavable mug seemed smart enough and everything seemed to be working out alright. I was concerned that I’d burnt the chocolate because it was smoking a little, and when I tasted it, it was a little weird, but I figured it was because of the fact that I’d melted dark chocolate bars. Dark chocolate being something that I’m not too fond of. Adding a little bit of water and sugar made it a lot better.
I decided though, that if I didn’t like it very much, I probably shouldn’t try to serve it to my guests. So, a couple milk chocolate bars later and the same sort of set up, I’m ready to go. Sort of. See, I melted it first, and then had to let it sit around, and so the once solid, now liquid chocolate had become solid again. Luckily enough, as I was busy being a bad hostess and talking on the phone with someone, my friend decided to sit the cup in hot water (double boiler) and liquefy the chocolate again.
It all worked out.
The next day, as we were chatting, we thought it would be fun to use my concoction as a chocolate fondue (something actually non-existant here in fondue land – go figure, the chocolate fondue was thing made up by non-Swiss people).
Let me tell you, this is a bad thing that I was creative one day and decided to melt chocolate. When boredom and my sweet tooth takes over, you better believe if I’ve got some fruit lying around, I’ll be dunking it in chocolate being warmed in a pot of hot water.
Lovely.
No comments:
Post a Comment