Friday, June 24, 2005

Encounters with wildlife

Myth: Squirrels do not exist in Switzerland. Throughout this year, everyone that I know (non-Swiss) here believe that squirrels don't exist in Switzerland. Or at least in Neuch. One was even trying to describe such a creature to a local without any success. Must have been the bad French that caused the confusion.

Fact: Yes they do! And I saw one outside my apartment. It was small, scared of people (unlike in crazy K-town/downtown T.O.) and brown (instead of grey - like I'm used to seeing at home). Apparently I was really lucky to see it. I mean, they don't roam freely like at home, they just hang out in the forest here, but my place is almost in the forest, so I was lucky.


Also, a couple nights ago, I was walking home pretty late at night (so it was dark outside), and I saw two little neon green lights beside one of the fountains in my neighbourhood...they were so small they looked like little LED lights that turn on with on/off switches or something. I thought it was weird though, because the fountain doesn't run on electricity and I'd never seen lights on the fountain before, but whatever.
I kept walking home and in the grass I saw more little green lights. I thought that maybe there's some Swiss toy/item that's like a glow stick and some young people just scattered these little pieces all over the place. It just looked neat though (you know me an my star/glowing things/lit up things obsession). Like little green stars on the ground. I was so intrigued...could this be an organism? I used a twig to poke at one, but it didn't move. There was another "one" close by and it moved though. It was so dark that I couldn't see the blades of grass or anything, just a glowing light.
So, I've come to learn that I have an encounter with glowworms, and that I should feel lucky (again), because they only come out in areas which have not been polluted with pesticides and other chemicals. No wonder I've never seen any in T.O. Oh and they're always in pairs. A cute little buggy couple. I wonder if I poked the guy or girl...and if the other one was coming closer to fight me off from taking away his/her lady/man. How sweet.

No comments: