Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Mad shopping in Paris

I just have to say that the first day of Paris summer sales is CRAZY. It's like the city is one big warehouse sale and people go nutbar. Stores close early the night before to get ready for the sales and it's just a frenzy right from the early opening hours that morning.
The streets were crowded, the stores were crowded and the air conditioning didn't have any effect due to the number of people. In order to get the best deal, some people became pushy and inconsiderate. Common etiquette went out the door as did some people's deodorants it seems. People forgot how to pick things up that they so obviously knocked over, and folding became a novelty. It was a gong show. I wish people could have just relaxed a bit. It was a little too intense for my purposes.
Most stores have up to 70% off discounts on merchandise. So, obviously LaFayette and Printemps were mayhem with people queuing to get into the various designer label sections. On the footwear level, they had to section off different areas where security guards had to oversea queues of people waiting to look at the different fashion houses shoes. I don't know how to describe to you how ridiculous it was, but seriously, there were 4 metre squared areas roped off with tens of people waiting to get into them. I guess 50% off that stuff is a pretty big draw.
It was all the stores that were enjoying to goodness (well, obviously not the ones on Rue/Faubourg St. Honore, Rue de la Paix and company), but I was disappointed that L'Occitane didn't jump on the bandwagon too (I was sort of excepting it though).
Zara was a mess. As was Mango. I didn't even bother trying to venture into H&M. It's already a nightmare on a daily basis. Don't forget folks that I hate shopping in cluttered stores. Folded merchandise on shelves doesn't bode well for me. Bins of items is unthinkable. I like sparsely hung items. Sweaty people shoving each other out of the way for a deal doesn't really do it for me.
I went into the Repetto store thinking that I could use the store as a refuge from the crazyiness. I was looking forward to just staring at wonder at the wall of pointe shoes and other dance merchandise (along with a couple ready-to-wear footwear items). WRONG. The store was mayhem. Boxes strewn everywhere. Shoes all over the place. People going crazy trying to find the perfect shoe...or at least any shoe in their size. I don't think that there was one dancer in the store. The shoes are absolutely gorgeous (I give the people credit, they were going to get a great deal on some serious quality stuff) and I have to admit this is one store I could almost loose my cool in and purchase nearly everything. Still, I managed to talk some sense into myself an not get the quite impractical fushia suede slippers or the ballet pink terry cloth ones. They'd be great to prance around the house in, but in the dusty, dirty, often rainy (at least in Neuch) great outdoors the shoes would be put to a quick and unwarranted death. The gorgeous leather soles would hold up fine, but the rest of the ballet flat would just cry at the sheer torture. I strongly considered a pair of beautiful sandals, but in the end, my long toes ruined the moment. I disappointingly left the store empty-handed. One day I WILL get something from that store. I just need the perfect item.
All in all, I did okay. I came out with some good stuff. Strangely enough I didn't feel like getting anything too costly. Even though the deals were amazing, I didn't really feel like getting a designer bag (don't worry, I'm not sick or anything). I just didn't really want one. It wasn't even the line ups or crowds that was throwing me off either. There were plenty of opportunities for crowd-free shopping (I guess I have good timing) and lots of beautiful items (a couple things that come to mind - lotsa shoes, a Vanessa Bruno tote, Longchamps totes, any-name-you-want totes, clothes clothes CLOTHES), but I just didn't want to purchase. I've already made my special French buy, and while I wouldn't mind having some additional great items...I really don't feel it necessary. Hooray for rational thinking and self control! And no regrets about the decision either!
Plus, it was a weekday...don't people work in this city? Or maybe it's a city-wide holiday. Yes, there were a lot of tourists, but the locals were out in full force too.

I think by the time I get to London, the craziness will have died down, but I hope that there will still be a couple good deals. Although, being an average sized person doesn't help when it comes to selection.
Oh, and I love Massimo Dutti more and more. I think it might be my European CM.

No comments: