Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Departed

So I guess this is what people with lives do. Go watch movies on a weekly basis. This past Friday, I went to see yet another movie - The Departed.
Apparently, this is based on some Chinese movie, which I've never seen before...except strangely enough, supposedly I flipped by this movie on a hotel TV in Krakow, Poland.
This movie is about New York cops trying to bust a mafia guy (Jack Nicholson - good at playing creepy guys) by putting in a guy (Leonardo Dicaprio) with Nicholson's gang undercover. At the same time, Nicholson's already got a mole (Matt Damon) on the force. So it's the story about who can get whom first.
It felt like a LONG movie. Many parts didn't feel like they were going anywhere and I was really really bored towards the end.
I enjoyed the part with the Cantonese speak, probably only becasue I haven't heard Cantonese in a long time. And it's always nice to hear Chinese guys yelling at each other.
I thought that there was an extraneous number of killings. People were just being shot for no reason. Lots of violence. It wasn't like I cringed at the violence, it just got too over the top and I was like, oh, there goes another guy.
Oh and the little thing at the end was definitely a groaner. How annoying when they put in things like that.

- picture courtesy of www.thedeparted.warnerbros.com

1 comment:

Ramanan Sivaranjan said...

The HK version is excellent. I haven't seen the American one. I know the HK version is shorter, so you might enjoy it a bit more. It's very terse and to the point.