Friday, June 06, 2008

Sex and the City

Last night, I went to see the Sex and the City movie.
It was exactly what I expected. Nothing more, nothing less.
The fashion of course was wonderful. There was more high-end designer label name dropping than in TV show episodes...I could have done without that. It didn't seem natural. I don't know if it was "product placement" or an intentional decision the part of the movie directors/producers. Eitherway, I didn't like that part of it. I think part of the beauty of the show is Patricia Field's ability to make the characters in the show look effortlessly put together. Most of the time wearing those high-end labels, but without necessarily flaunting it (shoes are an exception).
Speaking of shoes, I was surprised at the number of shoes that were re-worn in different shots of the film. I would have thought that costuming would have kept the girls wearing different pieces all of the time. Same thing for the belts. There was some variety in the bag department - I'm a little miffed at the idea that Carrie has an Hermes. I wouldn't think that's as much her style - I suppose she has matured a bit.
A lot of the characters looked quite a lot older. I suppose being in the limelight for a certain period of your life and people watching DVDs of the series freezes them at a moment in their life. Carrie and Smith Jared in particular looked much older in the movie. The rest of the girls looked fabulous as did Chris Noth.
There were quite a few effective one-liners in the movie. The plotline was predictable (definitely had my own sarcastic one-liner moment towards the end of the film), bu again, what else would you expect?
I thought the film was effective in taking a TV show to the big screen. Having a complete "episode" play out. You would enjoy the movie even if you had never watched the series although there was a really great recap at the beginning done in a very witty manner.
Thumbs up for this movie. A fun night out. The cinema was packed and one of the earlier shows that we'd planned on seeing was sold out. I would have thought the die hards had already seen the movie by now and it wouldn't be as packed. Some intense fans - getting dressed up to the nines. A whole lot of estrogen in one room.
Again, it's exactly what you'd expect out of Sex and the City, so if that's what you like - go watch the movie. If you like fashion...watch the movie. Picking out items and labels is fun. So it picking out NYC locations. What a city.

-picture courtesy of www.sexandthecitymovie.com

No comments: