Every year in the summer, there's a skating competition which renders me starstruck.
Two things worth mentioning about this year's festivities:
1. Louis Stong is a funny funny man. He is also a legend. When a legend walks up to you in the stand (albeit, I was surrounded by other people who he knew) says hello (just out of politeness - he has no idea who I am) and then proceeds to sit beside you and then continues to go about his business, well, heart palpitations ensue.
2. Sitting on the stand with Karen Preston. During a specific event we are both in roles where we're wearing headsets and can talk to each other. There are two other people in similar roles. So the four of us are talking, talking, talking...not sure how it comes up, but I learned that Tonya Harding was really scary. Intimidating as all heck and just not the most enjoyable person to compete against. Karen would switch spots in the dressing room at competitions so that she would be further away from Tonya.
Being among legends and listening to stories firsthand makes me feel like I'm part of some super-club or something. It's crazy. So many people at these competitions are the big time...and I'm right there with them. I often want to pinch myself. I hope I never become jaded and lose my excitement for this sport.
No comments:
Post a Comment