Monday, July 06, 2009

A nice outing

A couple weekends ago, I went strawberry picking.
I loved it.
We'd picked a warm, sunny day, eager to get outside and soak up some vitamin D.
It's a shame that farms are little bit out of the city and some have pretty tight hours of operation. Luckily, when you've got access to a vehicle of some sort, it's not a problem.
We went at the end of the day and were warned that the fields had been picked over, but we were more than welcome to give it a go.
We trundled off to the far corner of one of the fields and started searching. Personally, I wasn't very successful at first, and being impatient didn't help matters either. I think I ended up picking strawberries that were good, but not as good as I would have piked. They were passable, but being greedy and wanting the best possible strawberries, I kept hopping around from row to row, hoping to get lucky...and I did!
After filling up my first basket, I struck gold. The best strawberries to be found...and lots of them! It was a mad dash to get as many as possible (I get into frenzies). Somehow in the excitement I sat on a strawberry. I swear I was being really careful, but luckily wearing a lot of black has its advantages.
Anyway, as I said before, I had a great time, and I got some yummy berries to eat over the next couple of days (in hindsight, maybe I should have picked more, I finished them way too fast).
It was a really fun outing and I'm looking forward to the next fruit picking outing.

No comments: