Monday, July 06, 2009

Markets, everywhere!

This past Saturday, I along with hitting up my regular St. Lawrence market, I went the new St. Andrew's MyMarket. It was a little disappointing. The lot was quite empty, but the vendors who were there were very nice and I had a couple good chats. I learned about garlic scapes and was pretty close to buying a couple things, but the weight of the produce in my market bag from earlier that morning reminded me that I really didn't need anything more. The prices were higher than St. Lawrence market, and due to the smaller selection, I don't know if this new market will be my top choice for future shopping trips.
I suppose it has a lot to live up to. That morning, I wasn't pressed for time and had a grand old time at the St. Lawrence market. Not that I don't usually enjoy my trips to the market, but this one was really good. After buying everything I needed (or could afford - I hit $20 dead on this time), I head to the South Market to continue my stroll. While rounding the back corner where the cheeses are, I heard the sounds of a string trio playing Por Una Cabeza by Carlos Gardel. You may know it as the tango from Scent of a Woman. I practically melted on the spot. To more practical things, among other things, I bought a couple different varieties of peas, a potato and rosemary loaf and eyed a jar of mustard. I'll probably end up getting one in the near future. I never ate mustard until I went to Europe. I didn't like the stuff. I suppose I still don't love it, but I've gotten used to it, and I can appreciate it as long as it's not too hot. Everyone in Switzerland seemed to eat mustard, so I forced myself to start eating it and well, now I kind of enjoy it. One of the varieties of peas that I bought, the vendor told me that I was actually supposed to only eat the peas after they'd been shucked. A la Green Giant, I suppose. Well, that's kinda cool. Seem like a little bit of a waste to me, but I'm all for trying new things. Turns out that I've eaten these peas before, fully encased in their pods. Hmm. I'm also finding that I'm buying more produce than I can finish in a week. Does that mean I should cut down my budget? I think I can use up all the produce if I really plan it out right. One week that I made a huge pot of chili and soup used everything up, so I'll just have to do something similar. I already know that I'll going try making a couple pureed soups in the near future. Mmm, soup and bread and salad. Is it Saturday yet?

No comments: