Friday, April 23, 2010

Green Living Show

I'm an over the top pack-rat. Today is proof.
The Green Living Show is in town, and I'd read about the free admission when you bring in a piece of electronic waste to be recycled.
I thought of two pieces that I didn't use that I would probably be okay to donate, but at the last moment, decided to bring one out of retirement and the other, well, it still works and it's super retro-looking, so perhaps one day I'll rock a yellow walkman yet again. Each of the pieces have great memories attached to them, but that's not my real pack-rat story.
I still wanted to go to the show for free, so I rummaged around my place looking for something that was broken. Surely, I would be able to part with something that I couldn't even use anymore. I found a digital camera that seemed to take pictures of a black screen, desperately tried to bring it back to life (at one point it was just temperamental, and if you pressed the on/off button just the right way, the black screen would be no longer). Nope. It didn't seem to work.
Even still, with this completely useless digital camera that has since been replaced by an even better and cooler digital camera, I struggled to put it in my bag and head out the door. This was my first digital camera. This was the camera that I took with me to my European adventure. I mean, I bought it for that purpose. I literally bought it 10 days before I left the country. It survived being dropped many times, the red sands of the safari in Kenya and the tiniest particles of sand in the Sahara desert. I'm sure all of those things actually contributed to its demise, but I loved that camera. I loved the flip screen on the back. I got so good at taking night pictures, and super bright pictures, and speedy motion pictures with it (I still haven't reached the same mastery level with my new camera).
Please, take a moment of silence for my dearly departed digital camera...
I hear you laughing. Fine. Be that way.
All those dents, scratches, bumps and bruises. You will be missed.
I finally pulled myself together, treated the moment as a step forward in my pack-rat illness and ventured to the Direct Energy Centre, where the Green Living Show was being held.
I dropped off my digital camera to the lovely Samsung people who absolutely humoured my trepidation for dropping my camera in the already full bin. I was reassured knowing that my precious camera would be made into something equally useful that someone else would love as much as I loved my camera (realistically though, maybe a little bit less. Don't worry, I admit I'm crazy.)
The show didn't really have much for me. It was a nice outing, but I have no plans at reno-ing my condo and I can't really do anything to the building anyway. I don't need any more clothing, even if it is made out of bamboo and while babies are in the air, I'm not ready to buy presents here. Also, I have no pets to feed organic pet food too and I'm already partway through my final degree, so I don't need to be recruited by a Holistic school of medicine, a university or Stanstead College (someone really needs to explain to me why they were there). I did sample some organic and other foods that made the Green Living radar. I had soy ice cream for the first time, and while it wasn't revolting, dairy ice cream tastes so much better. If you like the taste of soy over the taste of cream, then by all means, go for the soy stuff, but I found the soy taste was all I concentrated on. I could barely make out the maple taste that they were showing off.
I had already had lunch at home, or else I probably would have enjoyed sampling the Farm Fresh Fare. If wine didn't make me nauseous, I probably would have enjoyed the BioVino.
If you've got some time this weekend and would like a nice little outing, take a trip to the show. If you've got some electronic gadget sitting around and collecting dust, and you're not so pack-rat-esque, there really isn't any reason to go to the show.

No comments: