Monday, November 08, 2010

Schooled by a Kindergartener

I was reading a Scooby-Doo book to a wee Kindergarten student this morning and had some trouble. You see, it was a learn-to-read kind of book that had pictures in place of many words. I had to get my new friend to tell me who all the characters were. I hid my lack of Scooby-knowledge by encouraging her to help me read by saying all of the words that were pictures. Rather quickly she got tired of this and said, "Can you just read the book for me?" Yes darling...now that you've told me who Fred, Velma and whoever that other girl's name is, yes, I'll read the book for you. I had to get her to remind me about Fred and that other girl's name a couple more times. Obviously, the names didn't stick.
I, clearly, missed out on some classic TV as a child. And this child of the 21st century, knew more about the stars of my childhood than I did. How strange.
It was mighty fun being in an elementary school again. I listened to the barely audible morning announcements over the tinny PA system, sat in a chair so that my knees were almost hitting my chin, sat on the rug for storytime, squished 6 bodies onto a loveseat, got told that I was pretty, you know, all the good stuff.
Education is a wonderful thing.

No comments: