I just happened to have three macarons from each Maison today. For a mid-morning snack, I went to Laduree. I chose Fraise Mentholee, Goyave, and Framboise-Anis. As soon as I bit in the first one, oh man, I was in heaven. There's something special about those little pastries that just, I don't know. It's pretty incredible.
For a mid-afternoon snack, I went to Pierre Herme and chose Mogador (fruits de la passion et chocolate au lait), Infiniment Rose, et Menthe et Petit Pois.
In my (not-so) expert opinion, it seems as though the biscuit of the Laduree macaron is more delicate than that of the Pierre Herme macaron. It's like the Pieree Herme macaron is a wee bit more solid and chewy whereas the Laduree macaron really crumbles with your first bite (or a firm grasp).
Laduree seems to have a bit more of a classic flavour selection. Lots of fruity flavours, and then classics like chocolat, pistache, and caramel a la fleur de sel. Pierre Herme also had classics, but were often more whimsically named: infiniment caramel and infiniment chocolat, for example, but then a couple more unique combinations (like the Menthe et Petit Pois that I'd tried and the Asperges Verte & Huile de Noisette or even the Huile d'Olive & Vanille.
Which one's better? I guess that's a personal preference. I say, why choose one over the other? Be like me and have both! I already promised the guy at Pierre Herme that I would go back tomorrow and give him the verdict on the Rose flavoured macaron (I was telling him that I usually don't like flower flavoured pastries, but he says that it's one of the best of the Maison. Does that mean I have to return to Laduree again too?
I know, I lead a hard life.
No comments:
Post a Comment