Monday, July 11, 2011

A return to Chanel

In 1997, I went to Europe for the first time. I stayed in Leysin, Switzerland for most of July to take a French course and then ended the trip with a 5 days in Paris. This trip played a big contribution towards me wanting to return to Europe and start my career there as well as to further travel the area.
The preceding sentence sounds kind of funny in my head. I've been thinking in French for the past couple of days, so I think I'm starting to mix up my English words and even stranger, the voice that I hear in my head has a Swiss accent. I've never had that before.
Anyway, during this trip in '97 I went on a day trip to Geneva. We walked around the city, were the ultimate tourists, took lots of pictures and had a grand old time. It was raining that day.
We were walking by all of these fancy shops and I announced to the group that we should go into Chanel. At the time, I had never been in such a store before and never considered doing so. I just thought, well, I'm in Geneva - it's Chanel, I'll never have the chance to be in a store like this again, I want to see what it's like. Everyone else protested, but I convinced them to go inside with me. We were wet from the rain, very young looking and clearly not ready to purchase anything in the store.
I remember walking around the store in awe. I didn't dare touch anything. A saleslady followed me. Literally. When I went upstairs, she was two steps behind. Although I was under her watchful eye, I decided to touch (gasp!) a piece of clothing. I wanted to know how much something in a store like Chanel would cost. I looked at the price of a skirt. I had a mini-freak out. I quickly retreated from the store and the saleslady stared me down some more.
Clearly it was an experience that I wouldn't soon forget.

Almost 15 years have passed and I returned to that same Chanel store. By now a seasoned fashion house browser (definitely not a seasoned customer...another 15 years?!? Ha.), I calmly greeted and thanked security as he opened the door for me (what service!), took a look at all of the wonderful items on display (still dreaming of a 2.55), giggled to myself about the customers in the store and the price tags of their outfits and accessories and then made my way up that same staircase from all of those years ago.
I marveled at the beautiful clothing, took a look at the price of a skirt (and was still shocked at the amount that I saw) and giggled at the lack of shadow that followed me around this time around. I suppose the last time, we were the only ones in the store whereas this time there were many other customers to tend to. And maybe I'm less of an anomaly than I was back then?

Clearly, it was an amusing visit for me and a nice trip down memory lane, which as you all probably know, I love.

I also learned something else from my recent visit to the shop. Chanel boutiques will also markdown items by 50% during sale season. Strange.

No comments: