I've lost my voice. It's a teacher's worst nightmare.
What was a nice little cold decided to attack my poor overexposed larynx.
Now that I think back, I can kind of see the progression of how it happened. Coughing on Tuesday morning while I was teaching and using my voice to its full capacity. Tuesday afternoon, throat feeling tired, but unlike what usually happens after a busy day in the classroom.
Wednesday daytime, voice is super sexy and raspy. Chugging warm liquids and styling some scarves. Seems to be getting better as the day goes on and head to my evening class with strategies of how to get the class talking more than me. It's torture, but I survive.
Thursday morning. No voice. Nothing. No sound what soever. It's still such an interesting phenomenon for me. It's not painful, although everyone I try speaking with says that it sounds painful. I am physically speaking the same way that I would any other day, and the same amount of air is coming out, but there no vibrations going on. It's such a strange sensation.
So, it's a virus so there are no drugs I can take to get over it faster. I'm just taking on as many home remedies as I can handle. I hope they don't cancel each other out somehow. I've been told to let my voice rest. Don't speak if possible.
The rest of Thursday was spent trying not to talk, but it's kind of impossible in my field. I wasn't teaching, but when you're around people, you kind have to talk. And there were various meetings and events that I really couldn't just ignore. I did show up 'fashionably late' to one event because I knew that the beginning was a mingling-type situation, so I thought if I could skip that part, it might work out better.
I took this morning off. It was nice to sleep in, because I need it and just haven't been able to afford to do so. So that's a blessing in disguise, but I was supposed to be doing something very important this morning, so I'm frustrate that I had to cancel. And I'm lucky to be working with a very understanding colleague on another project so that freed up part of this afternoon and Monday. So, my strategy is to be a hermit as much as possible for these next couple of days. As I don't have the habit of talking out loud to myself, it's the only way I can possible attempt to not use my voice.
I just desperately want to get my voice back again for Tuesday. I've got a cracking lesson planned that I'd really like to execute.
No comments:
Post a Comment