Monday, May 21, 2012

Legend of a Warrior

I'm clearly way behind on my blogging. Hot Docs has come and gone and I'm still trying to advocate for films that people should have gone to see. Well, I guess people can watch them in other venues if they want. Anyway, this gives me the excuse to be brief, as if I wasn't already going down that route with my other reviews.
So, Legend of a Warrior (click on link to read Hot Doc write-up) is less about fighting and more about family. The filmmaker seeks to get to know his father better, in part because he is now a father himself. There is a cultural gap. A generational gap. Some strains in the family.
Director, Corey Lee, was in attendance and it was a family affair. His father had attended the premiere at the festival and as I had attended the final screening, his dad had come and gone from the festival (although he called in that day to find out how things were going), but Lee's in-laws were all in attendance.
The film itself is quite nice. It's powerful because of the topic and how it gets resolved. Everyone can relate to the story and has an emotional connection to anything about families. If you get a chance to watch the film, you should. I wouldn't put it in the category of 'go out of your way to watch it', but if you have the opportunity to watch it, do it.

- picture courtesy of www.hotdocs.ca

No comments: