"If we did all the things we are capable of, we'd truly astound ourselves" --Thomas Edison
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Barber of Seville
Last night, I attend the extra night of the Opera de Montreal's production of the Barber of Seville.
It was the first opera buffa that I've seen. And that made a big difference. You see, operas are supposed to end in tragedy. If the curtain doesn't close on a body sprawled on the floor (or imaginarily off-stage in a lake or something) it's not quite right. This whole comedic thing is not what I'm used to.
I mean, it was...different. Sure, it was nice to laugh, but because I have never seen a staging of an opera buffa (or even a video of one), I wasn't sure how over the top they're typically supposed to be.
Three things that I spent more time questioning rather than just enjoying the production:
1. Basilio - Too flamboyant of an interpretation? I was distracted by him!
2. Figaro - Owns a battery powered flashlight?
3. Characters wearing black unitards and oversized balloons attached to their heads - HUH?!?!?! This was to be some sort of staging choice during Basilio's aria. Imagine dark lighting, smoke machines, and 10-20 of these 'characters' crawling around the stage. So confused.
That being said, it was fun. I thought Figaro (Etienne Dupuis) and Rosina (Carol Garcia) were fantastic. And the star of the show (for me, at least) was Bartolo (Carlo Lepore). Lots of funny moments, nice character details and interpretations, and of course great singing.
A nice touch, the production was sponsored by Movember. And fun mustaches made their appearances in the production as well.
Not that I would say that it wasn't deserved, but the show ended in a standing ovation. So, is this just a cultural norm or in fact a brilliant performance?
It was a nice night out. My first time in the Place des Arts which is a lovely, well, place for the arts. The main theatre was really large (I wanted to make my way up to the top balcony to see what the view is like up there, but I kid you not, the escalators - I couldn't actually find the stairs - were only going up pre-show and down at the beginning of the intermission and post-show) but more modern instead of the red velvet and gold gilding of old-school theatres. I walked by some nice restaurants that I'll have to try out at some point and interesting galleries that I'll need to visit. There was a photo exhibition of Dancers Among Us (which was lovely, of course). I'm looking forward to getting out more often and enjoying everything that this city has to offer!
- picture courtesy of Opera de Montreal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment