Sent August 27, 2004 @ 15:48
well, today i woke up at 11am. or sort of like noonish. somewhere in between there.
my bedroom has eastern exposure, so it's very bright (which i really really like). i can't decide if i was really hot, because of the sun, or because the duvet was really warm. it's super soft, but the funny thing is, the cover that i put on top of it (the theme of my place is blue. blue shower curtain, floor mat, bed spread, etc) is a little starchy. i guess i just have to work it in.
last night, i went over to another new teacher's place for dinner. he was here since august. he's 32 years old, from oakville and he's the other biology teacher. he seems really nice i guess. his mom was here visiting him. she's a real estate agent ... dinner was impressive. i think this guy (the mom did no cooking, we just sat and talked as he cooked) is more into cooking than you cronch. we had antipasti (?) which was basically a plate filled with crackers, cheese (not too cheesy tasting...pretty normal light yellow cheese), olives (i didn't eat any) and salami looking type of meat. then a romaine lettuce salad with tomatoes, raw mushrooms (which didnm't taste as bad as i remembered them being when i was a kid - maybe becasue here they were just small slices) and a homemade dressing (i think i saw him put in mustard - grey poupon looking type of bottle - he said something about anchovies, balsamic vinegar? - it was a creamy brown colour).
the main course was roasted potatoes and grilled lamb. i remember not liking lamb (or maybe because dad wasn't good at cooking it), but this was really good. it has a bunch of herbs on it, and he grilled it in a pan (he said he would have rather grilled it in the oven, but the potatoes were in there). they had wine, but of course i dinedm't want any. i smelled it, and it smelled like typical wine. stinky.
i am now using my laptop. the new math teacher's wife is the computer person. the math teacher is caucasian (late twenties, early thirties?) and wife is Malaysian. They met while he was teaching at a Canadian school in Malaysia. It's a Dell, and definitely not as fancy as dad's but I'm sure it'll do just fine. It had the touchpad, no nipple (which i don't like anyway - it hurts my finger). I'm going to ask if I can have a mouse anyway. Just because I'm more comfortable with them.
I haven't really looked at what "entertainment" the computer has (read as "games" - there's no DVD drive). A quick glance in the Start Menu shows typical Windows games. ... The keyboard's "normal" again.
I guess the American version (although there is a key with the
British currency Pound sign. But I don't know how to get it. It's not shift. It's to the right of the main character.) ... What else?
Today:
- saw a lizard crawling up the wall beside the sidewalk where i was walking.
- walked to school from home. don't wear a watch, so have no idea how long it took. people at school guess over 40 minutes.
- guy drove by with radio blaring music that kids listen to in Canada ("Yeah" by Usher and Ludacris)
- i take any number 7 bus to get to and from home to school
- cars here are small. they don't have bums. they're mostly
hatchbacks or stationwagons. tiny cars. i wonder if having an
american car here is like having a european car at home?
- streetlights turn yellow before they go to green (ie.
red-->yellow-->green). I'm sure they do the reverse too, but I
haven't witnessed it.
- pedestrian signals are red and green coloured bodies, not
yellow/white bodies and a hand.
- Neuchatel is bigger than Leysin. (or maybe it seems that way right now, because it's new). I look at Neuchatel like it's got layers at different altitudes (it's on a mountain, just like Leysin). There's the level below the traintracks. The traintracks. The level above the traintracks. The level above that, and one more. I'm on the seond highest level. The school's on the traintrack level. I need to walk to the level above the traintrack to take the bus. Then walk across the traintrack level to get to school. Downtown is below the
tracks. So is the skating rink (I guess you could say the level below the tracks is right by the lake). I remember Leysin being like a winding ssss-ing road up the side of the hill. Neuchatel seems like it's got parallel roads (at the different levels aforementioned) and then some roads that connect each one.
- Mom, remember that TV game show called "The Weakest Link"? I
watched it on TV today (at noon). The original British version (don't know if they're reruns, or if it's actually still going on). You know, with the lady with short hair the seems rude? The TV channel was BBC Prime
- Last night I watched "The Newlyweds - Nick & Jessica" on MTV Europe.
They were in English with French subtitles, so that was nice.
- I haven't eaten yet today (it's 3:30pm right now), but am not super hungry. I wanted to eat on a patio today, but didnm't see one that stuck out on the walk here, and am now here at school and busy writing this e-mail). I think I'm going to open up a Bank account later today.
- little kids (but not all - I'm going to ask why) wear yellow
fluorescent/reflective vest type of things. I see them walking around the streets with them. Some are by themselves, some with other children and adults, some with their parents. I'm guessing it's a safety thing required if you're under certain age, becaucse the kids don't seem botehred by it. I could see Canadian kids not wanting to wear something like that (because they're not used to it, and would think that it's weird). I saw a little infant not wearing one. And I don't think it's a height thing, because I saw a taller little boy wearing one, and a shorter one without one. I can'mt figure it out.
(I keep pressing the n and m key together - I guess I stil lhave to get used to this laptop.)
- I must say. My place is huge. Very very spacious. And all walls are white, so it just looks rediculously empty.
- there's apparently an Ikea near here. Not in town, but nearish. My furniture in my house is mainly Ikea. I like Ikea stuff. It's clean looking.
- today, the weather is very sunny and hot. i like it. i'm wearing a tank top and a skirt.
i think that's all for now.
bye,
Limin
No comments:
Post a Comment