Wednesday, September 15, 2004

First day of school and today

Yesterday was the first day of school.
I was really excited. My first set of classes...ever! I had a little giddy moment with a couple other experienced staff members who rolled their eyes at me.The classes were only 25 minutes long due to a shortened schedule, so there was only time to give a couple course handouts and give a brief intro.
But it was ok I guess. I survived, I've already picked my "favorite class" and noticed students that could be "problems". I shouldn't be doing that already. It's only human though, right? Just as long as it doens't change the way I teach or the marks I give.
I feel like when I'm in front of a classroom I'm a different person. I'm acting. My voice changes. My posture changes.
It's really interesting.

Today was the first day that we did work in the subject matter. Just a review class. It was really interesting. I had a moment of, "oh my gosh, I'm the teacher and what I say goes, so I'd better say it right so the students don't get confused". I had a moment of worry when many students were completely confused by what I thought were review questions from early high school. I had a moment of brilliance when I realised that although it was all review, I needed to reteach the concepts on the board before I assigned the questions. It was a time to learn from my mistakes, be proud of myself, be content with my life and how far I've come.

Booyah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay!

i'm proud of you too.

-b

Anonymous said...

booyah.


W

Anonymous said...

I AM really proud of you! YW