I do not enjoy fondues.
I should rephrase that. I do not enjoy cheese fondues.
I've tried real ones twice, and I still don't like them. The first time I think a lot of wine was added. This past time (with the rest of the staff from the school) there wasn't as much wine, but it was still not too good tasting.
I do not like the taste of alcohol. I'm also very daring in the cheese department. Cheese on pizza and pasta and a couple other thing are fine, but those are all pretty mild cheeses so I'm okay with that. It's the really strong stuff I can't handle (yet - I'm hoping living in Switzerland will cure that).
The cheese in the fondues I've had weren't very strong kinds, so that wasn't the problem. It's the alcohol I can't deal with (also wondering if lving in Switzerland may help this problem).
This time around though, I found a way to make the experience more bearable. Don't dunk the whole piece in the cheese. Not only do you get to eat so you don't starve while everyone's busy eating, but it minimizes the gross taste and the chance that you drop your piece of bread into the cheese (thereby avoiding awkward situations).
The crust part on the bottom of the pot it pretty good tasting though.
Other fondues:
Instead of cheese in the pot, you dunk raw meat and seafood into oil. Yum.Also a potato fondue. One of the staff members who couldn't eat bread dunked potatoes into a sort of creamy tomatoe-y sauce. It was really good. Like pasta-ish.
Of course the chocolate fondue. Apparently it's not really common here. Families may have it at home, but it's not really a big Swiss thing. The restaurant we were at with the staff did have it though. I think maybe it's getting more mainstream because of the tourists and stuff.
3 comments:
hey cronch one of my co-workers told me about some...thing for cooking. I think it's like a fondue pot except under it there are triangular sections where you can stick stuff to keep it warm, like bread or something? Maybe it's not a fondue pot but it's something like that, a hot pot or whatever, but definitely there's the heating sections underneath. He says he got it from Switzerland, or at least it's Swiss in origin, and they (him and his wife) love it, but I forget what it's called. Uh...yeah I guess I don't really remember that much about it. I can ask him again but do you know what he's talking about?
W
no clue
uh yeah...I have no idea what you're talking about, in terms of a heating section. At least I haven't seen something like that.
So far, the bread has always come in a basket and sometimes the basket is covered by a mini-quilt thing to keep it warm.
Raclette
The potato fondue is called "raclette"
Post a Comment