Thursday, March 17, 2005

Still experimenting

A couple days ago, I cracked open a can of San Pellegrino Chino. I'd bought it in Milan the first time I'd been there, because I thought the can looked really cool. For some reason, I didn't open it until now. I think I initially wanted to keep it unopened, but I've realised that it really it's THAT difficult for me to go back to Italy to buy another can to leave unopened, so I thought I should probably give this stuff a try.
It's just pop, but a flavour that they don't have in Canada. It tasted yucky. Chinotto is "a small bitter citrus fruit similar to an orange giving an extraordinary distinctive bitter/sweet taste". It also gave a tinny aftertaste. A friend brought up the fact that I probably didn't really enjoy the taste of Chinotto because I didn't grow up drinking it, and he wondered if someone who had never drank Coke before wouldn't like the taste of it if they drank it later in life. I guess that's the same thing with me and strong cheeses. The only cheese I grew up eating was the yummy processed cheese slices (I really do like eating them), a couple Baby Bells here and there, a Laughing Cow triangle or two and of course any generic mozzarellas they put on pizzas or pastas.
So that's the Chino story.

I also tried Carpe Diem a healthy drink with ginko and good stuff like that. I should have clued in when the ingredients said something about fermented stuff. The only drinks that I've tried that include fermented stuff are alcoholic, and I don't like the taste of those. This stuff wasn't alcoholic, so I didn't mind trying it. It was all herbal and supposed to be good for you and stuff. Well, I don't like it. It tastes like something's gone bad (duh, it's been fermented). So I think I'll try it again. Oh, and the fact that the first time I went on the website, the quote they had was: "Don't reach for the stars, but seize this moment" (there are a couple different quotes that they cycle through) makes me dislike the drink even more. Of course you should enjoy the moment, but they're dissing people who reach for the stars!!! That's just pure-D wrong.
Ugh.

Sometimes experimenting with weird drinks works well, others, you just move on to the next and make mental notes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chinotto is available in Canada. To me, it tastes like carbonated liquid rotting vegetables.

Anonymous said...

yeah cronch. You remember that pizza joint across from MuchMusic? They have San Pel Chino.

Anonymous said...

cronch I bought a can at Loblaws on Saturday just to remind myself of the taste. It wasn't great but I didn't think it was awful or anything.

it would be a good thing to drink to kill the taste of something I'd eaten.