Friday, December 02, 2005

Stuttgart

I love Europe. One short train ride away and not too many CHFs gets you to another country. I wanted something a little different. Somewhere that I could feel anonymous. I figured that Germany would be a good place to go, because I know no German, and therefore wouldn’t understand anyone, not be able to talk to anyone, could remain in my bubble and just enjoy my surroundings.

I decided to pick Stuttgart for November 4th-6th because I’d heard of the place (thanks to ballet), and it was pretty close to the Swiss border (making a weekend trip feasible). I did a little bit of research about the city before I went, but didn’t really know much at all...and I didn’t really mind. After all of my travels, I’ve figured out what type of tourist I am. I’m not really interested in museums and such, but enjoy seeing people, building from the outside, and like bus tours. I don’t like walking tours very much. I like taking subways and walking around on my own time. I like walking in parks and pedestrian areas. I like to have a map at my disposal, but hardly ever use it. I collect pamphlets from hotels to read about the area just after I arrive to the city, and plan out where I want to walk the next day. I may circle a couple things on the map, but after I get to a general area that I think I should visit, I start to wander without following a map or plan of attack. I often skip meals, because I’m too busy wandering. I like to go into grocery stores and buy food that I can just eat in the hotel room where I can sit in front of the TV and veg and relax my feet after a long day of walking and I’ll always try to buy some "different" kind of drink or dessert to try.
The German equivalent of the TGV was really really nice. The seats were bigger, more comfortable, you had more leg room and the car itself was so much cozier. Little things like the lighting and wood paneling compared to the dank and dingy red/purple décor of the TGV made all the difference.

The next morning, I decided to go wander. I didn’t have anywhere in particular that I wanted to see, but with my map, I’d circled a couple things that might be of interest. I quickly found the pedestrian shopping street, and some landmarks (including the opera house of course) that I snapped some pictures of. In one of the main squares they were setting up a winter bazaar complete with a skating rink. They had mulled wine and different foods and sweets that are so typical of such a set up. Sausages, candied nuts…I got white chocolate covered strawberries. Pretty yummy.
I found the "expensive shopping area", the "trendy shopping area", the "boho shopping area", you know how they always have places like that in every city. The Germans really like their shoe stores. There’s tons!
I really liked the park with the man-made pond that you could see almost all of the major buildings from, and after picking up a map and getting some information from the tourist office, wandered into the music conservatory and up to the terrace on the top level to get a panoramic view of the whole city (okay, so Stuttgart isn’t THAT exciting to look at from 11 floors up). The TV Tower was closed for renovations or else I probably would have visited that too. I followed a little self-guided tour that the tourist office provided and found that I had visited most of the recommended places on my own that morning before I had gone to the tourist office. Boy, am I good! I didn’t take the subway (you know that I would have liked to, but I just couldn’t justify it for one stop), but I sure did a LOT of walking. It was nice. I really felt like I was airing out my head and feeling good about being me.
I found the Holt Renfrew of the city, and really wanted to make a purchase there (I was drooling over some bags – especially the big Luella tote...I need an oversized tote) and I was close to buying a really German, cool, thick felted passport holder (well, an organizer that I would modify), but it didn’t have the right pocket that I wanted. I hope I find one soon. I just know that I’m going to get one soon.
I really like markets, and even more so if it’s the holiday season. The farmers market in Stuttgart was very multicultural. Well, mainly Greek, but still, I wasn’t expecting that at all. Above the market were shops which were fabulous. There was a home decorating store (very Christmas driven at this time), tea and coffee shop, l’Occitane, hair salon, clothing and jewelery designers. I was so happy in that building.
I wanted to find something to do at night. I was thinking about going to see Mamma Mia, but figured I probably wouldn’t enjoy it if the inbetweens were in German. Then I had my heart set on going to see La Traviata at the opera house, but unfortunately it was sold out. I was disappointed beyond belief and frustrated the sales ladies weren’t slightly more helpful about last minute tickets or no-shows. Sure, I didn’t speak any German, but I didn’t think there was any reason for them to be rude and hasty. That left me in a pretty bad mood. So I didn’t end up doing anything exciting that night. I just went back to the hotel (after about 10 hours of walking) and relaxed for the rest of the evening and went to bed quite early.

I try to purchase something special from each major trip or country that I visit. This time, I didn’t find something that would be an "investment", but something (well, somethings, actually) that made me happy. The only reason I knew anything about it, was by watching all of those antique/auction TV shows that the British seem to love so much. And I happened to see it in Stuttgart by randomly walking by a store. I purchased two Steiff stuffed animals. I looked into getting the popular bear, but they looked really not so nice, so I decided for something that would make me smile. I am now the proud mother of Mocky the hippo and _____ the donkey. The donkey didn’t come with a name, and I can’t think of a good one. They are both very lovely and have a stylish gold stud earring in their left ear.
I also used my beautiful pink m0851 duffle on this trip. I love that bag so much. Definitely no regrets there. I’m already thinking about my next purchase.

The next morning, I figured out when I needed to get to train station and planned out the rest of my day accordingly. I was so glad to have taken this trip, it really helped me with...well, just...stuff. I slept in a bit, and then went down to have a leisurely breakfast. The spread at this hotel was pretty intense. From pickled fish to rhum balls to springrolls. It was pretty funny. I definitely took some stuff for the train ride home (including a big pretzel – what’s a trip to Germany without eating a big pretzel?). I had seen everything that I really wanted to the day before, I so I wasn’t planning on doing anything too exciting this day. Just another walk around town to breathe in more air and see the surroundings. Stuttgart wasn’t too exciting in terms of things to see, and there wasn’t anything monumental from a historical perspective (at least that interested me), it was just hearing the German being spoken, seeing the market, the structures and the people that interested me. It was a good weekend trip. I felt like I saw everything I wanted to see in the city, and would go somewhere else the next time, however I really enjoyed my time there. I saw some nice things, and was happy to be there.

I love being in Europe and too clear my mind and spend some time on my own, I can just take a train to another country and experience a new city and take in new expereinces!

No comments: