So the story goes...George Harrison and Guy Laliberte both rolled in the Formula 1 circle. Schmoozing ensued and LOVE was born.
All Together Now is the documentary (worldwide premiere - yippee Hot Docs!) about the creation of this Cirque du Soleil show.
WATCH THIS FILM.
I don't know much about the Beatles. Seriously, I starting thinking that the documentary was a nice tribute to George Harrison with all the insightful interviews they had with him and then flipping to moments where it was just Olivia Harrison...well, the interviewee was actually Ringo Starr - who is hilarious by the way. Yikes. But I do know a fair number of their songs. And I can appreciate good music.
I love Cirque du Soleil. I'm always on the edge of my seat watching them. I love the drama, the music, the costumes, the talent. There were lots of great shots of rehearsals and the production itself.
The audience had the pleasure of watching the creative process happen. The "tampering" of the Beatles' music and the potential backlash (which turned out to be less of a deal than one would think). The constant tiptoeing with the Apple Corps Ltd. (which also turned out to be less of a deal than one would think).
Only a small part of the documentary followed the path of a performer, and I feel that while it was a nice idea, either they needed to flush it out more or just leave it out completely. There were enough other plotlines to keep the audience entertained.
There was a strong sense of family and relationships in this documentary. Wives, husbands, fathers, sons (Dhani Harrison is a splitting image of his dad) - it was a touching idea.
Each member of the group was well represented. Two by wives (Olivia and Yoko) and two by themselves. It seemed as though the wives really wanted the legacy of the their husbands to ring loud and clear. They had a vested interest in the show and often made their strong opinions known. I don't know if it was the case, but the documentary made it seem like these two voices rang louder and more critically than those of Ringo and Paul. It was very nice to hear the supportive nature of the living members and the happiness etched on their faces throughout the premier of the show. Both Ringo and Paul had very memorable words describing the show and their experiences. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Dominic Champagne had the difficult task to create the show and make everyone happy. He did a wonderful job.
The best part of film festivals is the chance to hear people associated with the film speak. We were all delighted to have the filmmaker, Adrian Wills and Giles Martin (great accent - yum), son of Sir George Martin chat and answer questions.
I hope that the documentary will show up on the TV, but if not, it'll be available on DVD June 24th.
No comments:
Post a Comment