Went to see Nursery School Musical tonight, part of the Fringe Festival.
It was a last minute decision even though I'd been wanting to go to the Fringe Festival since it started. I must admit that I was a little intimidated by all the different shows that were playing during the festival and no knowing how to sort through them and pick what to see. Luckily (?!?) I've been so busy this past little while and am going to continue to be throughout the weekend I could narrow down my options rather quickly. With the smaller list of shows to go through, I ended up with Nursery School Musical. For a couple obvious reasons. School. Musical. Done deal. I read a couple good reviews too, so that helped. I needed a light hearted show to go to anyway.
What did I think of the show. Uh oh, I find it difficult to give bad reviews. I mean - it was okay, but...meh. It was okay. I was hoping to laugh out loud, but I didn't really. I guess I don't laugh out loud very often though, so it's not that surprising, but I had high hopes. The fact that one of the numbers was called: "I sh*t my pants" made me think that I would be dying of laughter. Unfortunately not. It was a little high school show-esque. Punch lines were predictable especially when they were rhyming words in a song. While the issues that were being examined were true and had so much potential...the follow-through wasn't satisfying. If they had taken those issues to the extent of where Avenue Q went, I think it would have produced much better results. It just wasn't enough. A little amateur in my mind. Sorry. One highlight of the show - the two boys in their strollers. A little reminiscent of the Tim Hortons sketches from Air Farce. That was the closest I got to laughing out loud, so kudos for that.
As for the Fringe, I like the fact that 50% of the tickets are available to be purchased on-site just before the show - gets rid of the frustration felt at the Toronto International Film Festival (although I guess it's just not feasible at this level). I was at a venue which held 100 people. It was really sweet. I don't know if all of the venues are similar in size, but it really created a different type of vibe. A nice, homegrown festival kind of feel. Everyone working the event was wonderful, especially those who were asking for donations for the festival itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment