Thursday, October 07, 2010

Head in the clouds

There's a lot going on right now. The beginning of the year (I can't believe that we're already a month in) is pretty hectic. New classes, new routine, new commitments, etc. I'm really happy with everything that's going on, but I'm pretty overwhelmed. There's a couple big deadlines coming up and I'm feeling the stress. I keep telling myself that it'll calm down a bit in November, but I don't know if that's actually true. Things seem to happen and I don't really get as much of a break as I need. And I have a pretty big, semi-self-imposed deadline on December 1st that will keep me in check for November anyhow. Or at least, I hope it does.
Today was a long day. A pretty consistently busy day. I got things accomplished, but I still feel like there's lots to do. I desperately wanted to take a nap, but I pushed through and continued to work until the time for my reward for surviving the day came.
I was so dazed by life and everything that's going on that I almost went the wrong direction on the escalator. If I didn't have the habit of putting my hand on the railing before stepping on, I would have been toast. It took a couple seconds for me to register that my hand was moving toward me rather than away for me to clue in that I probably wasn't supposed to be using that particular escalator. I must have looked like a complete do-do (and I recall no understanding how someone could get so close to the escalator before realizing that it was going the opposite way - could they not see the stairs and railing moving the wrong way, the people coming at you instead of away from).
It was a first.
Luckily, me plan to end the note on a high worked. Docsoup FTW! I was a little concerned that I would fall asleep during the screening, but I didn't even get bored or wonder when the movie would be over. It was great.
Sons of Perdition was a great documentary. I'm so exhausted right now, that I don't feel like writing a synopsis of the film, but basically it follows a couple boys who left the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints in Colorado City, Utah. I learned about something I know very little about, and was thoroughly confused about their culture. It's obviously a different way of life, but add on top of that a different mentality. I wasn't able to understand it all. I'm now making mental connections to my studies about cultural theory and ethnography. It's pretty fascinating, and just the other day, I flipped past Sister Wives. Well timed, my Hot Doc friends.
Anyway, I really enjoyed the documentary, and filmakers Jennilyn Merten and Tyler Measom were on hand for a frank Q&A.
I was rejuvenated from watching the film, and happily walked to do an errand before heading home. The weather outside was lovely. I think I had enough energy in me to walk home. But instead, I hopped on the 510 and promptly started to let my mind go until now when I am getting rather close to turning into a pumpkin. And so, I shall end my post.

No comments: