Sunday, May 22, 2016

The First Monday in May

I recently went to a screening of The First Monday in May.
It was AWESOME.
The film is a document about the lead up to the 2015 Met Gala, which served as a fundraiser for the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute, and the opening of China: Through the Looking Glass.
I found it fascinating to get a peak into the planning of this massive event and all of the details and moving parts that are associated with it. The preparation and planning of the art exhibit was equally interesting and while I knew that curating an exhibit was a lot of work and very thoughtful, I didn't realize the scope of what mounting an exhibit entails. The amount of planning, research, consultation, marketing, promotion...the different components (e.g., lighting, staging, sound). It was so impressive.
In addition to the leading forces for the Met Ball and the exhibition, Anna Wintour and Andrew Bolton, respectively, I appreciated that there was a strong collaborative aspect to both including many talents including Baz Luhrmann and Wong Kar Wai, respectively.
And of course the fashion. The fashion throughout the movie was fantastic. Everything from the day to day clothes that every person on screen was wearing (I had a major "a-ha!" moment when I found out who Andrew Bolton's partner was), to the beautiful pieces in the exhibit, and the pieces worn to the gala. I had some serious clothing/style envy.
From beginning to end, I thought the film was well done. Of course the subject matter appealed to me, but I thought the narrative of the film and cheeky little moments (hint: dragon lady) were spot on.
So yeah, if you can, go watch the film.

- picture courtesy of www.firstmondayinmay.com

No comments: