A couple years ago, BIXI arrived to Toronto. I think the idea is great. A hop on, hop off bike rental operation. Yet, I never took advantage of it. I loved my Metropass and really, who needs more than the 510? Also, I'm terrified of the idea of biking among the cars in downtown Toronto. I really don't trust the cars/drivers to not hit me, and I think many of them wouldn't trust me. I think BIXI Toronto wasn't doing super well. I see people using them, but I guess not quite enough to make it financially awesome. They're still around though, so I guess it's good enough for now.
Here in Montreal, BIXI stands are all over the place and there are tons of people tiding them. While Montreal seems to have a better infrastructure for bikers (ie. more bike lanes), for me to get to the bike lanes, I'd need to bike among cars for a bit before having a lane all to myself. Also, the 80 is pretty great and I'd have to walk up the big hill if I biked, which in itself is enough of a deterrent. But, when I heard that Bixi Montreal was having Free BIXI Sundays, I wondered if maybe I could take advantage of it and maybe go for a ride along the Lachine Canal (ie. a car free zone). A couple days ago, I did a little research to understand just exactly how the service works (ie. pricing). My idea of going for a leisurely bike along the canal, went out the door, because really, how much can you do when you're on a 30 minute time clock? Ok, so that's kind of annoying. And really, if you want to borrow the bike for a longer period of time, it kind of adds up. I suppose that then clarifies the intention of BIXIs in that they are meant for short trips, commuting, errands, etc. It's not for touring around the city, sightseeing, or getting some exercise. So, by this morning, I had forgotten about my dream to BIXI, until a little brain wave hit just a few minutes before the end of my spin class. Why not take a BIXI home from the gym? I mean, I usually like walking home as a way to cool down and keep my legs and muscles moving, but I could probably have similar benefits by biking home, right? Ok, so here's a funny reality. I've been riding a stationary bike regularly for the past year, but getting on a non-stationary bike is a little bit awkward. I haven't ridden a non-stationary bike since, errr...maybe 7 years ago? While I still know how to ride a bike, I forgot how to (dis)mount one. After getting my BIXI out from the docking station (as simple as sticking in your credit card, entering your phone number, and punching in an access code), I actually walked the bike for a couple blocks to an alleyway so that I would be able to get comfortable on the bike away from cars and people (I mean, who needs witnesses seeing you fall off a bike?!?). I rode in the alley for a bit, figuring out the gears and brakes and then ventured onto the road. I mean, I was a little nervous about riding on the open road, but there was nothing I could do about it. I popped on and off of sidewalks for a bit, but by law, I knew I was supposed to be on the road. I took a couple detours just to see a little bit more of the neighbourhood, but was kind of nervous about: 1) cars/major roads, and 2) my 30 minute timer. So, after what felt like just a a short ride, I docked nearby my house and realized that I was very close to my 30 minute mark. So hopefully, I won't get a fun little surprise on my credit card bill! Also, it showed me that BIXI isn't what I'm looking for/need. I'll need to borrow a bike from a friend for a day or something, not be on the clock.
Still, I'm glad to have taken advantage of the free ride. The bikes are easy to ride and the service is convenient. What I don't like, the the time restriction, but if your plan is to use BIXIs for their purpose, the time wouldn't be an issue.
No comments:
Post a Comment