It's graduation season.
Graduation ceremonies are a funny ritual. Each institution has its own traditions and it's interesting learning about them. The spectacle of it all is really...errr...well, something. It's fun and amusing. It's also full of pomp and elitism. (Wow, some of my colleagues are really getting to me! Ha!) I try not to think about the latter, and think of it as a celebration and a special occasion that happens rarely in one's life. In my profession, I'm fortunate to be part of many.
At my current institution, the spring convocations are held in a (HUGE) tent on main campus. From the outside (I'm quite bad at scale) it seemed like your average tent used for events. But, as the procession (yes, procession...it's so ridiculous) entered, I was shocked at the crowd that awaited me. It seemed to go on forever. The tent was so large that there was a big screen TV mounted so that those who were seated towards the back could watch the events through the screen.
Speeches are a source of interest. How the speakers interpret their role and what they choose to speak about. I am always interested in finding out if repeat speakers reuse (parts) of speeches.
The moment of "hooding" is one that can vary at institutions. From literally hooding the graduands, to tapping on the shoulder with caps or scrolls. There are options for kneeling or crouching.
And of course, I must comment on the attire. The procession is probably the most diverse: the different gowns, hoods, and caps that appear are a source of amusement. I choose not to sport a cap and my gown is red and black and my hood is red and white. Quite simple, but elegant. I feel fortunate. I enjoy those who wear the poofy caps, and gowns with awkward colour combinations. A colleague has a lovely bright pink gown and she looks so splendid. As the majority of the ceremony is spent watching graduands cross the stage, as it should be, they are on full display. As their attire is covered with the big gowns, footwear is easiest to consider. From flats to stilettos, I watched their strides with intrigue. The audience is a little bit too far away to see what they're wearing, but after the ceremony is over, it's nice to see how family and friends have chosen to dress for the occasion.
Anyway, as I said at the beginning. Convocations are a funny ritual. I do feel a little ridiculous being part of the spectacle, yet proud at the same time. I am humbled by my privilege and to be part of a special day. I'm already looking forward to the next ceremony.
Congratulations to all graduands and graduates!
No comments:
Post a Comment