Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Mom and dad would be so proud

Last night, I cooked rice...in a pot! (You have to understand that the only time I've seen someone cook rice in a pot - with any expertise - is when we go over to my aunt's house for dinner)
Yup, I grew up with the fabulous invention also known as the rice cooker. Magic in a machine. Stick in the rice, water, press and button, come back and *poof*, cooked rice.
Anyway, I did it. No burnage on the bottom. Maybe a TAD soggy, but that's one of those, "how dry do you like your rice" things. It wasn't dripping or anything, just a little bit softer than rice cooker quality.
1 cup rice, 2 cups water. Boil for a bit (as long as it took me to remember I was cooking rice after settling in front of the TV), turn heat to low boil for 15 minutes, turn to lowest heat (with the lid on) for the time it took for me to go down to put my laundry into the machine and come back, and then let it sit (still with the lid on) for a random amount of time (until my tv show got to a commercial).
I think it was a fluke that it worked out so well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Job

Cooking rice in a pot is much more satisfying. I think having it not burn at the bottom is the hard part, but if you remember to turn the heat down low once it has gotten to a boil, you should be alright. Ram.

Anonymous said...

satisfying whatever

don't listen to Ram, he sucks. Rice should be cooked in a rice cooker, plain and simple. The only exception to this is ah-yi who totally 0wns the stovetop rice.

cronch I think it was probably a fluke too. When I was in Houston I did 4 months of stovetop rice and it was all over the damned map despite my following a "formula" for it. Buy a frigging rice cooker man.


W

*L* said...

Re: satisfying whatever

jeez...
sure, ayi rice is the bomb, but who could blame me for wanting to reach the point of ayi-greatness?
i'm with ram on this one.

Anonymous said...

Re: satisfying whatever

I dunno guy, if you can make it like a-y-i then that's one thing, I guess I'll have to see what your skillz are like when I visit. It's just so much more consistent out of a rice cooker.


W

Anonymous said...

i proud of you! it doesn't make a difference what others say about rice cooker or stovetop, you are making do with what you have and being great at it!

b

Anonymous said...

Of course HE is so proud of you, and always. He did it too in a pot the first time, and in Canada.
While it is convenient to do it in a rice cooker, knowing how to cook rice without a rice cooker is another level higher. What if there were no rice cooker? And rice cooker cannot give you crispy crust at the bottom that some people like.