Monday, November 08, 2004

La Boheme

I went to see my first opera last night. La Boheme by Puccini.
Sure it wasn't at La Scala or the Paris Opera, but it was still enjoyable. For a small town like Neuchatel, it's got quite a nice theatre and a good selection of concerts/events to attend. Much like Kingston. Small town, but with great performances. I really liked taking off on my own to go to the Grand Theatre and listen to the KSO.
I've got a lot of brochures for Swiss companies, so I hope to carry that on while I'm here.
Anyway, so a couple of us went to the opera. It was pretty good. Not really fancy, but nice nontheless. I mean, I don't have anything to compare it to, so maybe it was really crappy, but I enjoyed it. The opera itself is in Italian (which I only know some words from piano scores) but the French cheat notes were projected above the stage. That helped a little, but I obvious didn't understand every word. Opera (and any theatre I guess) is pretty easy to figure out even if you don't know the language. You can basically follow along to facial expressions and physical interactions. Or you can know that there's going to be two people falling in love, or some miscommunication about who loves who and someone's gotta die. The rest is just extra filler.
After the opera, moules and frites! Yum!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cronch I bought a can of Red Bull. $2.79. The cans were being resold or something I guess since the cans are in Polish. On the other hand there's a sticker with ingredients and the name of the importer and stuff in English/French so maybe it's actually semi-legit.

anyway it tasted like crap. I guess it made me feel a little jumpy for awhile afterward but nothing too special. I can see maybe feeling awful if I drank like 3 or 4 though. But it doesn't taste good enough to *want* to drink like coffee or something.