Friday, November 26, 2004

Weather update

I forgot to mention this but it snowed for the first time in Neuch exactly one week ago.
I'd heard from someone that we were so expect 6cm of snow, and didnm't really think anything of it. It was kind of exciting actually. The first snowfall in Toronto's usually really pretty. Fluffy flakes onto a green sea of vegetation. Even while flakes landing on black asphalt is so contrasting an beautiful.
It's when the snow stays on the ground and becomes slushy that it's not so nice. And then there's that whole mystery substance that lasts until April. You know what I'm talking about. The ice/salt/dirt mixture that never seems to melt from the edges of the roads. Yum.
I'd actually vaguely remembered hearing something about snow on the radio that morning, but I'm never sure if I'm tuned into a French or Swiss station. And even if it was Swiss, the climate's so different depending on where you are.
I also thought I hallucinated little white flakes walking to the bus stop that morning. They just looked like squares rather than flakes, so I dismissed the idea that it was snow.
The day carried on, and when I was leaving a friend's house late that night to go for crepes (a standard practice as of late) I noticed the ground was wet. It'd been yuckily raining for the past little while, so my heart sank knowing that it had been raining yet again. But wait...what did I see?!? White clumps in corners and on cars?!? Snow!
So I didnm't see it falling, but the evidence remained. It was fabulous. I noticed though that the snow seemed more clumpy than in Toronto. Perhaps due to being near the lake and the air being more damp, flakes tend to clump together more and melt more readily, but then semi-freeze in clumps as well.
I hasn't snowed since that night, but I guess it's a sign that winter is coming. Apparently it's snowing pretty regularly a little higher up, but here in Neuch so haven't gotten anything again since.
In general, the weather varies. It's still quite cold early morning and late at night, but in the middle of the day, depending on the cloud coverage, if the rays of sun can get through it warms up a lot. It's really really really foggy today, but it's hasn't been too bad otherwise.
I'm still wearing my fall coat, but wearing thick sweaters underneath. I'm always wearing my special homemade mittens which I love, and have gotten many compliments with. Oh yeah, and of course, one of my made scarves too!

No comments: