Thursday, December 23, 2004

Ocean's Twelve

I saw Ocean's Twelve Tuesday night.
It was my first trip to the cinema here in Europe. First of all, it cost 15CHF. The seats in the theatre were really cushy though, so I guess I can't complain too much. And I think they're around the same price in Toronto at those huge theatres right? Oh, and the price was what is was because I got a ground seat (vs. balcony), I didn't pay enough attention to see how much balcony seats cost. Less I suspect.
Most of ads and previews were in French, a couple were in English with German and French subtitles.
The movie was in English with subtitles (German and French). It was a little bit distracting actually, because I'd start reading the French subtitles and miss out on the action that was going on in the background, or else, I was listening to the track and feel like there was always something blocking the bottom half of the screen (duh...the subtitles?!?). I noticed that anytime Yen talked, there were no subtitles for him. Good thing I understood what he was saying. But I guess that's the point right? They don't have English subtitles for him usually, so why would they have German or French?
Another thing they've got here in Europe is an intermission. It was quite ghetto actually, part way through, not necessarily at a good breaking point, the film went wonky and the curtains closed and lights came on. They literally pressed stop on the film reel. It did the old school flickery picture thing. A short smoke break. It's Europe remember? Afterwards, they just pressed play again. It was a little weird actually. Like you had to remind yourself what happened before the intermission, so for the first 5 minutes, you weren't completely paying attention to the movie but just trying to understand what was going on and get back into zoned out movie-watching mode.
I guess because it was a movie with so many big names and stuff, I was expecting it to be really flashy like the first one, so I was a little surprised that it wasn't. I personally would have liked it to be flashy, but whatever.
Anyway, I'm not here to ruin the movie for you, but I didn't like it that much. I didn't really look at my watch to time it or anything, but I've say that I predicted the whole final third of the movie. I don't always like that. For Hollywood lovey-dovey movies yes, you need a happy ending, but you're not supposed to be able to predict what's going to happen in a heist/thief/whatever-you-want-to-call-it thing. Just my beef.
It was okay though...I guess.
Any thoughts from others who've seen it?

No comments: