Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Complicated Kindness

A Complicated Kindness, by Miriam Toews

This book won a bunch of awards, but I don't really get it. I think that may have something to do with the fact that I look a really long break from the book halfway through, so I kind of forgot what was going on, but I'm not really sure I get the point of the novel.
It seems to be about a Mennonite girl and we get a glimpse into how she perceives the world and the story makes you question your perceptions of their culture. At least, that's my take on it.
From that point of view, it's kind interesting, because it really did show a different story to what my stereotype of their culture to be, but the book just didn't seem finished to me and that's probably why I'm left wondering if I missed something.
It seemed to be quite an easy read (which is always a good thing for me) and I suppose I enjoyed the fact that it made me reconsider what I know about Mennonites and their lifestyle.
The book left me indifferent. I'm glad I read it, and I'd recommend it to other people, but I'm obviously not passionate about it.

- picture courtesy of www.chapters.indigo.ca

No comments: