I was really looking forward to going to Paris again. It was definetely a highlight of my 1997 Leysin experience.
We arrived to Paris on train and had to make our way to our hostel on the metro lugging our luggage the entire time.
For those of you wondering if I did a typo, no, I really did type hostel. More about that later.
I really love the metro system in Paris. It's so great. And I actually find it really easy to use! I also loved that as soon as I got to the metro, I immediately saw someone hopping the barrier and going in without paying. Sigh, memories of '97. A common occurence in Paris.
We make our way to our final destination after a little confusion (our metro map that we were provided wasn't quite accurate - it was quickly replaced upon arrival - and so some people were a little confused and worried because they had no idea where they were going) and creating quite a scene by parading down small streets towing our luggage and obviously not speaking French.
The hostel was really cute. It looked really nice. The rooms weren't bad either. Common toilets, but sinks and showers in our room. There was no door to the shower area...but luckily we were provided with a curtain. Still, it was a little weird. Seems like the room I was sharing was the only one lacking a device with a knob and hinges. All other rooms we visited looked pretty good. The pillows were pretty useless though. One person on the trip even bought his own pillow because he thought the one provided wasn't sufficient. It was pretty bad. It didn't remind me of a homeless shelter though, so I guess my preconception of hostels has been squashed.
The first night we were there, we ate dinner at Somo, the restaurant that a friend's son is the chef at. Delish with a great vibe.
After dinner, we wandered around the Marais, where we were staying. What a great little area with so many chic boutiques. A great cup of hot chocolate later, and time to call it a night. We were so exhausted.
Saturday morning, and a visit to the Musee d'Orsay. I'd been there before, but I really like impressionist stuff, so I didn't mind going again. Highlight of the trip: seeing an artist painting a Monet on site. Very Amelie-esque. At first I thought it was the same painting as from the movie, but after a quick look, nope. The Amelie painting isn't even in that gallery. I was pretty impressed with the artist. He has a huge canvas, and he was doing a really good job. It looked pretty much like the original, only 2 ft away. What a sight.
After lunch was free time. That could only mean one thing: SHOPPING!!! As I've mentioned before, last time I was in Paris, I didn't shop at all. I spent all my time zipping from tourist attraction to tourist attraction. It was crazy. Hop on the metro, come up for air and see the Eiffel Tower. Down underground again and come up to see the Sacre-Coeur, etc etc. I came to Paris this time armed with Euros and ready to spend! Before shopping, a quick stop to the Opera House (check one thing off my list of things to do - see a previous post) which was actually on the way to a mall. I hit up La Fayette and Samaritaine, both of which were pretty overwhelming. I'd compare it to a Holt's...on steroids! Rue du Rivoli and darn it, we ran out of time. Drat! If only we didn't have to meet for dinner!
After dinner and a short walk, we crash again. Exhaustion.
The next morning was a trip to Versailles. This I wasn't too excited about. I mean, I'd gone on the tour already, seen the Hall of Mirrors and walked the gardens...alas. I'm glad I was there though, because we were shown the Opera Hall. It was absolutely fab-u-lous! The king (not the original one) had run out of money by then, so instead of everything being made out of marble, it was made of wood and painted. It gave a really warm effect. I wished I could have gone on the stage and looked out at the audience. Apparently concerts are still held there. I'd love to attend one. It's weird, when I see a stage, I wish I could perform. I'm never sure if I'd rather play the piano of dance, but I was to be on that stage. I wonder what that means. I was a little sad for everyone else who was there for the first time. The Hall of Mirrors was basically closed for renovations, and we'd picked a pretty shoddy time of year to go, because the gardens weren't coiffed.
Oh yeah, highlight of the bus ride there and back was seeing the soccer/rugby stadium and a billboard for the Eric Bompard Cachemire ISU Grand Prix event (of skating, of course).
That afternoon was free time again, and instead of shopping, we (well I - and luckily there wasn't a protest) decided to Amelie it up. I HAD to find the Cafe des Deux Moulins. Quick snaps of the Moulin Rouge, and then we wander Montmarte for the place. Didn't have to look too far! WHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
I was so excited. A little obsessed, maybe, but for some reason, this movie really gets me. Snaps outside, and in we go! So weird...darn it! His table's occupied...sit at another...wait...we're sitting where Gorgette's tabac counter...should be (but isn't there in real life)...facing the back of the cafe...and...the toilette...lit in green...glass window in the door...augh! It's all too much! Order some food...laugh with the waiter (who was super nice and laughed with us about my giddiness)...I giggle. I can't stop! Funniest was when part of our group who was actually on a tour of the town walked by when we were eating and half of them couldn't believe we were actually eating...there! Eeek! Whee! Boing! And a friend who knows Paris really well had heard me rant on and on about how determined I was to find the place turned into a punching bag because I couldn't help hitting him in my excitement to tell him that I was actually there! He quickly left the scene and rejoined the tour. I got a lot of excitement seeing the bartenders clean their glasses with the fountain-thingy that's built into the counter (the one you put the glass upside down on and press down...). Food was actually really tasty and quite reasonably priced. Creme brulee for dessert. Trip to the washroom (I really did have to go) but also a prime opportunity to check it out, and (sheepish look) take a snap. I would have taken more during the meal, but I got a little embarassed in my excitement. I was relieved to see that other people were also taking snaps the whole time we were there, and lots of people just walked in to take a snap and then walk out again. At least I was a paying customer. I was really jealous of the people sitting in His seat. Bah! Some more snaps, some more embarassement, some more laughs with the waiter, some more apologies for my behaviour, and we're off. It was the perfect time to leave, the sky was dark enough that the restaurant looked perfect. The neon lights against a dark grey/blue sky. Similar to the movie I'd say. Check more items off the list. I've already added some things to the list for my next trip to Paris. Still, I'm content.
A little bit of shopping and dinner before a trip to the Eiffel Tower. Spectacular. It's so beautiful at night. And the addition of the tower sparkling on the hour doesn't hurt. Fab. I want to live in this city. Dreamy. On the way back to the hotel, some stops for snaps, pretty much the end of a wonderful day. Smile.
The last day in Paris. I'm sad...and not looking forward to having to go to the Louvre. Honestly, all I need to see at the Louvre is the Mona Lisa, and it's already been done. Still, I soldier on and have lunch at the food court in the building. Great variety of food at quite reasonable prices! Highlight of the morning: buying a bottle of Perrier. Fluo. Does this exist in Canada? One's pink...so I bought it. I was going to keep it and not drink it, but on the train ride home, the lunch was apparently more salty that I'd thought, so I needed to quench my thirst (even after going through a whole bottle of Parisian tap water). Darn it. I haven't found it in Neuch.
We had a little free time before leaving to catch the train, and this is when I mad my extravagant purchase (I've left out all the details of the lead up to this purchase, because I will devote an entire post to this momentous occassion).
Last time on the metro and we're at Gare de Lyon. And my last chance to Amelie it up. On word: Photomaton. A trashcan worth photo (on purpose!), but a little too embarrassed to rip one up on the spot, so I decide to put my stuff on board (we were running a little tight on time) and then hop out to toss one photo in a garbage nearby. Ack! Almost time to go! And a look around on the platform...pas de poubelle! Mon Dieu! Qu'est-ce qu'on pourrait faire? C'est pas grave. Je pense que je peux...ah forget it. Basically, I've got all four of the pictures still...one is ripped off, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Maybe toss it in the Neuch gare? Who knows.
We TGVed it all the way home. You can really feel the speed when you try walking. Arrival to Neuch and the busride to Hauterive gave way to utter exhaustion, and a very satisfied Miss Jao.
It was a fabulous trip, and it just made me want to return yet again. It's lovely to be me.
1 comment:
no, I've never seen Fluo around here. Even those plastic bottles of Perrier with the "extreme"-looking art (instead of like normal glass bottles of Perrier, which look more refined) aren't that common around here. Like this is Canada, so either you're drinking Perrier in a restaurant (I find San Pel is more common) or you're buying it in bulk for home. Not really from the local 7-Eleven.
W
Post a Comment