This weekend was the Coupe Neuchateloise. A little invitational skating competition held in town. It was my first chance to judge since leaving Canada. Unfortunately, the year I don't think that I will "officially" be able to judge in Switzerland due to paperwork and stuff like that, but I was able to be the equivalent of a "trial judge" at the competition.
It was an interesting experience.
Quickly, on the judging front, it made me miss judging so much. I can't wait to really have my marks count. I mean, I'm glad that I got to at least trial, but it's just not the same thing. Still, I'm thankful. Oh, and Swiss judges have a different take on judging attire. In Canada we're told to dress warmly (of course), but professionally as well. I don't necessarily dress to the nines, but when on the stand, I feel I'm carrying out a job, and need to dress the part.
The Swiss dress to stay warm, from what it seems. Snowsuits are donned as are these things called "moon boots". No joke. I was in shock when it happened. Think blizzard attire. Quite a contrast from what I'm used to.
Luckily, everything else about the judging was the same, so I didn't feel too out of place.
The competition was cute. Small and drew some local skating clubs. Lots of enthusiasm in the stands and club spirit was great. Each skater was cheered for and after each program, the ice was showered with flowers and other gifts (at one point a bag of candy that was thrown onto the ice exploded and the skater had to pick up all of the individual gumballs that rolled around the rink). The awards presentation was great as well. The medallists didn't actually get medals, but little trophies. On top of that, they each got a beautiful bouquet of flowers, a certificate and a bottle of lotion?!? I guess instead of giving all participants a little thing when they sign-in for the competition, the Swiss load on the gifts at the end. They stand on the podium and the head judge for the event and the president of the host club makes the presentations. Pictures are taken and then the remaining participants are called in order of placement (oh, I forgot to say that the results aren't posted, but are announced during the presentations...so everyone in the competition is standing on the ice hoping that they will get called - hmmm...similar to OUA's?!?). All competitors as they are called with their placing stand beside the podium (in order) after shaking the hand of the top three or doing the three kisses thing. Even the little ones! How different from Canada! Great sportsmanship! Then the judge and president again present trophies, certificates and lotion (but no flowers) to all participants. SO different from home! The kicker. After the final applause, all of the participants take a victory lap around the rink!
All of this hoopla happens for every single event. From tiny tykes, to the big kids.
Makes it more encouraging to compete...you get a big deal made about you even if you come last.
I'm already looking forward to the next competition!
No comments:
Post a Comment