As I promised myself, I went to Milan this past weekend. Yet again, I had a wonderful time. It was actually the first time I took off for the weekend on my own and stayed at a hotel by myself, which was quite exciting. I actually didn't get to stay at the same place as last time because it was full (I didn't pre-book). The new place was actually nicer than the last...it was cool to have my own hotel room. (I LOVE staying in hotels.)
I wasn't by myself the whole weekend, some friends happened to be in Milan the same weekend, so I met up with them for a bit. It was nice to be on my own, but also spend time with them, especially since they lived in Milan for a year, so they took me around to some neat places.
Things of note this time around:
1. Went to a football (read: soccer for all you North Americans) game. Inter Milan vs. Chievo. Apparently, one of the worse attended games ever. Too bad. The stadium was enormous. I was quite giddy, because it was just so impressive and the fanatics were really entertaining as well. The final score was 1-1, and I was actually disappointed with the post goal celebrations of the home team/crowd. Basically, there were none! I mean, if the fanatics spent the whole game singing and chanting, why wouldn't they go crazy when a goal was actually scored? I was confused. Favs of the experience, seeing the many riot police (and secretly hoping that something crazy would go down), hearing the fanatics warming up their lungs as we were approaching the stadium and seriously thinking that it was a recording being projected over the sound system and going up the "towers" to the seats. I hope to go to another crazier game soon!
2. Milan has recently gone smoke free indoors. This seems like a pretty big deal seeing that it's Europe, and smoking is more accepted in society. I won't complain though, because it really was nice to enjoy, for example, a smoke-free meal and not having to air out my clothes later that night. Although, walking on the streets and in the stadium I was back to holding my breath.
3. Bloor St./Yorkville will never be the same again. I spent some alone time wandering the Via Montenapoleone area. It's a lot bigger than what I experienced the first time I was there, making the Toronto equivalent just not as exciting as it used to be. It was strange to see multiple D&G's, Gucci's, Prada's, LV's, Armani's, etc etc ETC within a couple blocks. And they weren't little boutiques each. They were full out stores. There was an Armani superstore. It took up the entire block and was its own department store. I'd say it's the size of Holt's on Bloor. It contains Men's, Women's, Children's, Home, Eyewear...I could continue on. It was UNREAL. I had a "I can't believe my life" moment, which I haven't had in quite awhile. (I wonder why?) I mean, I was strolling through the streets of Milan, looking at designer stores...it actually made me wonder if I do want to return to Toronto at some point. Shocking, I know, because my plan has always been: return to Toronto to carry on my "normal" life. Anyway, I don't want to dwell on that subject now. There's no point. Back to the wonders of Via Montenapoleone. I was actually too scared to go into any stores in the area. On Bloor, I feel like (this is going to sound really really weird, but...) I'm a different person, or that I'm putting on an act. It's my release. My make-believe land. My happy place. I wasn't completely able to be like that this time in Milan, so I couldn't bring myself to go into any stores. Not a bad thing (I'm not good at explaining this), but just how it was at that moment in time. I was quite satisfied with looking through windows. Next time perhaps I go in. Oh, and it was incredible to see the designers that I'd only read about or seen on TV in person. Sigh, it was fab.
3. Milan could be my bag city. I've acquired another one. It's a pink, sequined monstrosity and I love it. Cronch, remember we saw it, but I didn't want to dish out the cash for it...well, I did this time (sale!). Mom and dad, it matches my belt exactly. It was actually quite a successful shopping weekend. Two pairs of shoes, the bag, a jacket, shirt, and errr...some other stuff.
4. Shopping is basically the reason I went right?!? Well, not completely, I mean I wanted to get away and stuff like that, but it just so happened that it's sale season. Sales are fab.
5. Some restaurants have "happy hour". This means, if you buy a drink (alky or non) you can visit the little appetizer buffet at the bar for free. Tapas bar I think it's called?!? In Italy it's fine, because people don't abuse it. They just take a couple snacks and that's it, but I could see restaurants in North America going bankrupt if they started the same thing.
6. I like using the metro (read: subway) system in different cities. I think I'm pretty good at figuring them out and I just like the fact that if you go the wrong way, who cares, just get off and then try again. I know lots of people who are so nervous to go on the wrong train and stuff, but what's the point of stressing? If you're in a rush, fine, but if not, it's just another experience if you go the wrong way.
This is getting long. My attention span is fading. I think that's all I want to say right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment