I've been craving chicken. Chicken wings. I've been able to indulge twice since being here. In two places you would never imagine being satisfied with chicken wings at.
1. McDonald's
2. Vienna
Yes, I know.
Thing is, chicken's not really the meat of choice here. In Canada it seemed like chicken was the staple meat. If you go to a big catered meal, chicken's going to be featured on the non-vegetarian entree. Here it's a little different. I'm all pork and beefed out.
Seafood's as common as it is in Canada (always a couple choices on menus), but to fill in the chicken void, there's a good mix of duck, rabbit and horse.
I enjoy duck. It's tasty.
Rabbit and horse I actually tried on the first day we went to the caf. I had horse stew and tried a little bit of a friend's rabbit. I haven't had either since. I'm willing to try most things, and they were both edible, but since there are other options always available to me, like I said, I haven't had either again. They just aren't as tasty.
Horse was a really tough beef-like meat. But with a different taste (no, it didn't taste like chicken).
Rabbit was sort of duck like in consistency, but with a different taste again.
Oh yeah, the Canadian connection. The horse they serve here is from Canada. Giddy up!
No comments:
Post a Comment