Back on my weekly schedule (I hope) - the St. Lawrence Market.
My main attraction to the market is the the Farmer's Market on Saturday's, but if I wrap my head around cooking seafood, I'd probably buy some stuff from the the South Market as well.
I got to the market a little later than I had planned, but turns out there's an upside to sleeping in - vendors want to go home so they started marking down their stuff. Sure, I don't get the best choice of the stuff, but that doesn't bother me too much.
I ended up getting some ingredients for beef stew and then a series of baked goods. There was a sampling bag of dinner rolls, which I thought would be perfect for me. I like trying new things, even if it backfires, so not having to commit to a huge loaf of whatever was good. There were seven different types of buns in my bag: beet, rice, oatmeal, 5 grain, carrot&something, saffron&something and some other grain that I'd never heard of and have subsequently forgotten its name. I'll give 'em a try after I put my stew ingredients in the pot.
I also got a strudel from the place that I'd been eyeing since my first visit. I decided to go for one of their new flavors, wild blueberry and cream cheese. Sounds good huh? I'll also give this one a try after my stew's on the stove.
I did eat a couple things while I was there (I never eat at home before going to the market - that's just crazy!). A baked chicken samosa (kinda generic) and what I thought was a spinach and lemon baked triangle of some sort of savoury pastry thingy, but it didn't really taste like what it was supposed to be, so I don't know what it was. More leeky than spinach. Oh well, that's the fun part of trying things.
I have two purple carrots that the gentleman threw into my bag for good measure...not really sure what I'm going to do with them yet.
(Markets are the best.)
No comments:
Post a Comment