Monday, October 12, 2009

Battle of the Blades

I haven't been following this show (I know, surprise), but I did manage to watch tonight's results episode.
For those who don't know, Battle of the Blades is a Canadian TV show that pairs a figure skater and hockey player together (think The Cutting Edge) in a Skating with Celebrities show format. Tickets for tapings cost money (as opposed to a lot of TV show tapings), but it seems like everything about this program is for charity - so it's all good.
As it was a results show, I only got to see two of the couples skate, and I have to admit I was kinda surprised at how good they were. Skating with Celebrities flopped (although it is quite popular in its other incarnations around the world) partly because celebrities don't necessarily know how to skate. Having pro hockey skaters on the show makes it an easier transition, although after watching the two couple skate, it's clear that there is still a deficit. What can I say, figure skating is hard. I applaud the figure skaters for trusting their men to put them up into lifts, death spirals and even head bangers. From what I gather, it's a cute show and I hope that it raises lots of money for charity as well as raise popularity for the sport.
The real reason I wanted to write about the show, is because tonight, I saw Kurt Browning skate an exhibition in hockey skates. The man did a friggin double salchow...in hockey skates. He did intricate footwork...in hockey skates. Did you hear me? HOCKEY SKATES!!! That man is something else.

No comments: