Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Yowza!

Season 2 of So You Think You Can Dance Canada just finished. I'm happy with the winner, although I didn't get as emotionally invested with this season as I did with the first or with other seasons of the American version. I wasn't as impressed with the top 20 performers as a whole, but continued to watch the show really only because I was interested to see how far Austin (whom I've danced in the same studio with, so know what he's capable of) and Emanuel (whom I've followed as a figure skater since he was a pre-teen). Once the talent got whittled down to the top four or so, the dancing was fantastic, but for the first little while it was often a snooze fest. I appreciate how Canadians are super nice and stuff, but often the judges were too nice on the competitors that it got very frustrating.
Anyway, Season 6 of the American version just started. It's actually been going on for awhile but my original youtube source for the show disappeared and all of the replacements that I've found don't show the whole episode in a convenient way or haven't been showing the auditions. I know that they are now at the top 20 contestants part of the show and the clips that I just finished watching I think are from that episode. Holy expletive!!! From what I could tell (there's a possibility I didn't get the entire episode) they did a group number (splendid) and then did smaller group numbers based on their discipline of strength. The hip hop group, the tap group, the jazz group, two contemporary groups and a ballroom group. I can't even pick a favorite one because they were all equally impressive. My mouth was hanging open. They already seem so much more talented than the Canadian folks or even dancers from previous season. Sure, I understand that they were performing to their strengths, but still - the power that was there. Yowza! I wish I could have seen the Las Vegas finals show just to see more of their talents and who got cut.
I think I'm going to watch the clips again. I can't even express how good they were. So well choreographed to show off everyone's talents and strengths - but very cohesive at the same time. Amazing. Truly, amazing.

Edit: This was actually a teaser show to the first top-20 competition show. My source has now added the top-20 show on their site, and I'm so tempted to watch it, but I won't tonight. I'm going to bed instead. Albeit, an hour and a half later than I had planned because I watched other clips and shows, but still an hour and a half earlier than my regular bedtime. I need to get back to a decent sleep schedule.

No comments: