Friday, November 13, 2009

The Sleeping Beauty

Tonight, I attended the opening performance of The Sleeping Beauty of The National Ballet of Canada. I selected this specific performance to attend as it worked into my schedule and it had many dancers that I wanted to see.
I have a horrible headache, so I'm going to bed, but here's a couple highlights from the night:
- Penelope Reed Doob gave an extremely uninspiring Ballet Talk. It was the first time, I wished that I wasn't sitting there. It was absolutely dreadful.
- Spotted: former Princess Aurora's, Vanessa Harwood and Karen Kain
- Rotten luck sitting beside an audience member who shouts brava or bravo after after every single variation. Of course many of the dancers deserve such praise, but I don't think it was necessary during this performance. I mean, c'mon - the corps?
- Sitting in the third row is fabulous. You can see everything. I found myself staring at the dancers' faces more than their dancing. I'm so blind, that it's just such a treat to be able to see the costumes and faces up close.
- Bridgett Zehr is a little bit too skinny.
- The Ballet Boutique is copying Freitag by making their own messenger bags and totes out of ballet posters, seatbelts and other recycled materials.
- Standing ovations and prolonged curtain calls seem to be the norm these days. I often believe that the audience has no clue what's going on, but they think that they're supposed to behave that way.

No comments: