I've never been camping before. I mean, in the woods. Prior to the age of 22, I don't think I'd slept in a tent. Actually, I might have once when I was a kid. I remember crayons melting in the front pocket of my red backpack from sitting in the sun too long while I was at a day-camp. But I'm not entirely sure if we had a special event where we'd stayed over. Maybe not.
I've been to two cottages in my life. One involved sleeping in a tent in the yard (it was for an initiation), and the other, I slept in a king-sized bed. I think that cottage was nicer than a lot of houses.
The sleepover camps that I've been to (all school-related) involved me sleeping in a bed in cabins. Not terribly rustic.
Growing up, camping just wasn't something that our family did. I don't think that my parents had anything against camping, it just wasn't part of their repertoire of things to do.
I imagined camping to be something where you're in the middle of nowhere, with no electricity nor running water. And you definitely don't have a toilet. Especially not a porcelain kind. I've since learned that there are different types of campgrounds and ways to camp, but I'm not chomping at the bit to go. That's not entirely true, I do want to give it a go, but I just don't know how I feel about having the first time I go be really, I don't know, authentic?
I'm not a total princess. Seriously, I'm not. In fact, I guess I have gone camping before. I slept in a tent (although I did not put it up) in the deserts of Tunisia. And the toilet facilities were "behind that sand dune over there". We did have a roll of toilet paper, but that's it. Actually, I've camped a couple times on my extravagant adventures abroad. I camped in Kenya too.
But camping in Northern Ontario or anywhere else in Canada, I have yet to do. I'd like to!
Oh right, the reason why I wrote this post in the first place - I read this article. I found it amusing, entertaining and brought up some interesting issues about society.
No comments:
Post a Comment