Saturday, August 04, 2012

Fruits and veg garden

I'm a city girl. I've visited a couple farms and gardens on field trips, and I've stayed with a couple people who grow fruits/veg in their gardens. I have seen some fruit/veg on my travels in their natural habitat too, but for the most part, my conception of where fruits and veg come from is the (super)market. Obviously, I know that they were grown somewhere first, but I can't imagine how most of them grow.

Recently, my dad's taken up a hobby of growing random fruits and veg in their backyard. I know that my parents grew some things in the first home that I lived in, but I don't have many memories of it. A couple years ago, my dad started growing tomatoes (cherry and heirloom) and it was pretty awesome. Two years ago he added some winter melon to the mix and that was cool because I had never seen a vegetable that grows on a vine go from seedling to harvest.
Last year, my dad went even more intense. There were tomatoes, bitter melon (testing out a new vine veg), snow peas, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and grapes. The tomatoes, bitter melon and snow peas were successful. The strawberries less so, but I've heard that they take a little bit more expertise. The other berries and the grapes - nada. But it was an experiment and fun for my dad to tinker around, so it was worth it.

This year, my dad moves some of the plants around, being strategic and hoping that the new placement would help (especially with the strawberries). The tomatoes are starting to do their thing. The snow peas are duds this year but the duds from last year returned from a vengeance! All of the pictures from this post are from this year. The raspberries were small, but there were a good number and the blackberries have really come to life!

It's, again, been really interesting to watch them grow and to hear from my dad about how he's tinkered around with them. I'm looking forward to seeing how the grapes are going to develop because, as you can see from the picture, it looks promising. The new 'melon' of choice is actually cucumbers and zucchini...along with bitter melon again (blech). My dad had planted them pretty late in the season so he wasn't sure if anything would come of them. When I was there snapping pictures, I saw this wee thing (below), but I didn't know what it would become. Now, a couple weeks later, I've found out that they're pickling cucumbers. And just like the winter melon, the prickles on the outside come right off when they're ripe. Plants are awesome, aren't they?
Way to protect themselves from predators! Anyway, I think the zucchini are trying to grow as well, but they probably weren't planted in the best location. They're shaded by the leaves and vines of the cucumbers and bitter melon that are growing up the lattice in front of them. I think my dad assumed that zucchini would grow a similar way. Oops.
But that's the thing, although it's great that my parents can eat the fruit and veg that my dad's growing, it's more
of a fun hobby and learning activity. My dad and his gardens are proof that there is such thing as lifelong learners and that you can always pick and choose something new to learn about.
Also amazing is the fact that my dad has built planters and various structures in their backyard for all of these 'experiments'. And they look incredible! I'm lucky enough to have a custom-made deck and planters at my place too!

No comments: