Sunday, June 21, 2015

Lean In

Lean In, by Sheryl Sandberg

Fun fact about me: I don't really do well in bookstores. Like, I'm not good at just going in, wandering around, picking up whatever book looks interesting and just start reading it. So, I don't really venture into bookstores to browse like I might go into other types of shops.
Once, though, I was with someone else who does like to go into bookstores, so what else could I do? I wandered around, just looking at different covers and admiring the pictures on the fronts of books...until I felt like I had done as much as I could do before actually picking up a book. I forced myself to grab one and start reading (because what else could I do to take up more time?) and Lean In was the book that I happened to pick up.
I had time to read about the first chapter of the book and I loved it. But then, it was time to leave the shop and I put the book down. I was kind of annoyed actually that I couldn't finish the book. I'm not good at stopping things partway through. Anyway, I think that was at least 3 years ago that I was in that bookstore.
So, continuing on in my summer of reading, I thought I'd seek out this book again and continue to read it. Also, I had a good hunch that this book would be available at my library at work.
I really liked this book. It discusses so many things that are so relevant in my life. It gave me a perspective about some of the workings of contexts that I am a part of (and better familiarizing myself with) and even some insights into myself. I encourages me to "lean in" and be a little bit bolder than my natural inclination. It makes me think a little bit more carefully about interactions and human behaviour. It reassured me to know that so many things that I've been experiencing, thinking about, and puzzling over are not rare occurences.
Similar to Malcolm Gladwell's books, Sandberg clearly put a lot of thought into her book and did her homework. Not only does she pepper her writing with personal anecdotes and experiences, she also links her ideas to research to really drive home her points.
Reading this book felt like I was watching a really long TED talk. I was inspired, able to make lots of connections and wonder how I'm going to apply all of the thoughts that are going through my head into my life.

Anyway, I'm glad that I was able to finish reading this book. I'm happy that I've been able to get through a couple books already this summer and that I've been able to slow my pace down. Today, when I went for a walk to get some errands done, I walked slower. Maybe even at a typical person's pace. I mean, people weren't passing me, nor was I passing others. I just took my time and I think it's been good for my soul to take my time.

- picture courtesy of www.chapters.indigo.ca

No comments: