Sunday, June 14, 2015

Outliers

Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell

So, I received this book as a gift in December 2008. And I finally read it. I had started reading it quite some time ago, but for some reason, I never got around to finishing it. I'm so happy that I finally got back to it. It's a great book. Kudos to the person who gave it to me, he guessed that I would be interested in the topics described in the book, and he was right.
Not only did I like the topic, but it was an easy read (check off one of my requirements for my summer reading list). There were short chapters (critical for me as I've been reading in short snippets of time...on the bus, to kick start my day, to end my days, waiting for people to show up for coffee/lunch/brunch/whatever...and also because I'm not good at remembering what's going on in the book, so stopping partway through a chapter really confuses me the next time I pick it up).
This is the first book that I've read by Gladwell. I tend not to be an overly critical reader (especially if the writing is well crafted). I think maybe I should be a little bit more critical...or maybe it depends on the subject matter. I have read things that I think are completely ridiculous. Anyway, my point is, I was happy to follow Gladwell's arguments. I guess I could google what others think of his writing (there must be critics out there), but I don't feel like it's a priority.
As the title suggests, this book is about outliers. The things that make people/things get to that place that makes them extraordinary. Gladwell provides lots of examples of this, talking about being in the right time and place, culture, context, and basically, just explaining how things work. As some who likes to analyse and figure out how things work, I found the book very interesting. I learned a little bit more about luck. I learned a little bit about timing. I learned a little bit more about small things making a difference.
I was thinking about my life as I read this book. About what in my life has contributed to who I am today. I mean, the easy answer is that everything contributes, I to try to get a better sense of how they contributed. I read this book with a lot of interest and wonder. And was happy that it was an easy read.
I've recently been thinking about writing a book. It's something that people in my profession often do. I was at a conference a little while ago, getting inspired and thinking about different things that I'd like to investigate further. I came up with some ideas for a book. But the connection to this book is that I think if I write something, I'll definitely want it to be very accessible. An easy read, and something that people can connect with. Like, a "human interest" kind of story. We'll see if that book ever gets written.

- picture courtesy of www.chapters.indigo.ca

No comments: