Tuesday, June 08, 2010

It's started...

Of course, media and other outlets have been building up the hype about the G20, but it wasn't until the removal of the garbage cans in my area that I really felt like I would somehow be effected by the shenanigans. I, unlike many other people that I know, am looking forward to being in the thick of things and was disappointed that I don't need a swipey-card to get into the zone where I live. I know of people who are jumping ship and going out of town for the weekend, and I've gotten an e-mail from one of my employers suggesting that if we've got vacation time stored up, to take them when the party is in town. Even the dance studio that I go to is canceling classes for the week.
I still can't imagine what it's going to be like at the end of the month and hope that I'll be able to plant myself on the balcony of someone who looks into the chaos (assuming that there actually will be any). I love a good riot.
This morning, I saw my first in-your-face 'protest' of sorts. There was some large-scale graffiti on the streetcar shelter. A little sibling version of the message was sprayed on a nearby barrier. It wasn't offensive (to me), but it was large enough that I noticed. I wonder how diligent they'll be about trying to remove anything that's not supposed to be there. I guess from here on in, I'm going to notice more stuff in my hood.
That would be a great week to do some serious plane-spotting.

No comments: